Proper Muesli

Chancer

I am talking rabbit food not the factory produced pépites croustillantes that come in enticingly printed boxes that are stuffed full of E numbers and glucose syrup, I want something natural that wont break the bank.

When I first arrived I did see small bags of "organic" or "bio" stuff on the rayons of les grande surfaces but priced like it was saffron, eventually I found that Lidl sold 1KG bags of the best stuff I have ever bought for one euro something labelled multifrucht muesli. Sadly like most things I enjoyed from the hard discounters thay stopped selling it, anyone still lust after the Aldi baked beans I wonder?

Now even the expensive ones are no longer in the supermarkets around me, does anyone have any leads?

In the meantime I will be in the UK and will stock up, I may even find what I want in Lidl there.

I used to buy that Lidl muesli, but now all I can find is 'Master Crumble' in 600 gm boxes.

I make up my own from the local bio shop based on their quinoa mix   and add sunflower or pumpkin seeds

You might find such a shop here (mine is listed)

Online there is Naturalia

but these are not cheap options...

Thanks for the suggestions, I saw the Jordans one but twas too expensive.

There is one of those bio shops in my town, I visited it once and left speechless at the prices.

If they still stock it at Lidl UK I will empty the shelves.

I still dont understans why all of the "proper" mueslis have dissapeared, excepting the Jordans one you just cannot seem to but a basic one any more yet the price of grain etc has dropped.

Sorry guys but I am by necessity on a serious economy drive for the foreseeable future and even £1.99 is hors de question unless it is for at least 1kg.

I might try looking at the pet food rayon for rabbit or bird food, some of the abbats of meat there whilst marked not for human consumption are actually quite tasty although I have noticed some side effects namely a penchant for sniffing dogs ar5es and licking my balls [6]

• 3 months later...
the crunchy types have huge amounts of sugar in. I live in Switzerland, so plenty of good muesli (often called bircher muesli here where it was invented!) about- but very expensive.

A related question - where can I buy BIG oats, not the little ones that turn to concrete as soon as cooked. I make my own magic porridge - with crushed seeds and nuts and bits of dried fruit - and need whole rolled oats. Live near Pontarlier so have access to all big supermarkets. Luckily a really kind soul has offered to bring me large oats from UK next week - but need continuous low GI supply. Thanks

You were right to question me Norman, I was having a senior moment, despite being sure that I bought it in Aldi before popping in Lidl for one other item on the way back I started to have my doubts as it is branded "master crumble".

With my reading glasses on I can just make out that it says on he back Lidl Nekarsulm

Although my senile memory is still convinced that I bought it in Aldi [8-)]

I am just about to have my fix, I hope that you get yours soon!

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

Sorry guys but I am by necessity on a serious economy drive for the foreseeable future and even £1.99 is hors de question unless it is for at least 1kg.

I might try looking at the pet food rayon for rabbit or bird food, some of the abbats of meat there whilst marked not for human consumption are actually quite tasty although I have noticed some side effects namely a penchant for sniffing dogs ar5es and licking my balls [6]

[/quote]

John, I hadn't realised that, amongst other things, you're a contortionist?[:D] So, would they be tennis balls, cricket balls, footballs, rugby balls (although they are a strange shape)?

Well yesterday I tried the new and double price mastercrunch muesli and it is definitely very different to the muesli multi-frucht which preceded it, it tasted fantastic, loads of fruit and whole nuts.

Almost too good to be true and so it was [:(] on carefull perusal of the small print revealed that it has 41% fruit content (great so far) but a lot of them are sweetened with sugar and honey.

This muesli has a sugar content of 31% by weight [:-))]

Only feed this to your rabbits if you want to fatten them up for the pot [6]

Its a shame because it doesnt taste sugary unlike the very powdery Swiss style mueslies but then neither do the muesli crustillants.

So JR, does the search for cheap healthy unsweetened muesli continue?

Have you had a look at what's on offer at your nearest bio/health food shop?

The one nearest to me sells the Celnat range loose, in small packs and in large bags. If you find one to your taste, it may be worth buying it in bulk (bearing in mind the blighters mentioned in this thread)...

My nearest bio shop is 50km away, I had a look around 4 years ago and still shudder at the memory of the prices, I am not keen to repeat the experience.

I think muesli will soon be another of the items on my UK shopping list together with most building materials, fixings, tools etc.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

My nearest bio shop is 50km away, I had a look around 4 years ago and still shudder at the memory of the prices, I am not keen to repeat the experience.

I think muesli will soon be another of the items on my UK shopping list together with most building materials, fixings, tools etc.

[/quote]

A bit off topic, but dental floss is worth bringing back (I can't believe the cost of it here!)