Onion juice

Dog

Eating my gruel and drinking warm water at breakfast I looked through my neighbours window and they were watching UK TV. Saturday Kitchen I think and Hector Bloementhall was in a Fish and Chip shop and they had onion juice.

As a veggie I rarely visited fish and chip shops in the UK but am fascinated by onion juice as I have never heard of it.

I did a google on it and it is also good for ear ache and hair loss - not that either are a problem for me.

Can anyone tell me more about onion juice? Is it a localized thing, in the East Midlands they had pea clusters which I had never seen elsewhere.

That makes sense. I use the vinegar from my pickled onions on my chips. My recipe for pickled onions uses chillis, garlic plus lots of black pepper corns and plenty of the usual spices. Blow your head off!

It would seem you can get juice from onions though.

Heston (Blumenthal) reckons that, having spent more than a few quid on the fish (turbot - about £25-35 a throw, or more) and having created the perfect batter and the perfect chip, you should then put some 'onion juice' in an atomizer to spray the room (or even the chips) with in order to create the perfect ambience.

The man is completely mad (in the very best sense of the term) and I love him and The Fat Duck.

the progam tried to make the crispest batter which personally I dont think is the best batter.... not sure why he bothered..

however... I really like the science behind the idea...  just wouldnt use it for fish n chips...

Mmmm...that reminds me of a delicious dish I once ate at a little restaurant in Goleen, West Cork (the Sea Urchin, which I think has long since closed [:(]).  It was just a simple dish of summer vegetables in the most delicate, crispiest possible tempura batter.  A drizzle of piquant dressing to dip them in.  It was incredible![:D]

• 3 weeks later...
Going back to the onion juice, my mother used to make it for us when we had colds and sore throats. She just sliced an onion into a saucer, sprinkled with sugar and the onion would weep it's juice. It only produced a couple of teaspoons per day but that was our 'dose'. I remember it tasted delicious.

Sounds gruesomely interesting - I may try that as I love onions.

My favourite pizza is just sauteed onions (about 10mm deep) with a dash of olive oil with garlic, chilli and black pepper mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I thought you may have been extracting the human waste juice there - or refering to a salad of dandelion leaves - I have not tried Pissaladiere as it contains dead fishes - I had my first onion pizza on the italian lakes at one of those pizzeria that make enormous squares and you indicate how many square feet you want and pay by weight.

The italian onion pizza has the onion still in slices - just.The pizzaman couldn't believe I kept going back in for more!