swiss chard recipe

Yvonne

I love the stuff but would avoid the anchovies. Mmmmm great with garlic and with leaks.

The stalks especially are good in curries and the leaves can be used instead of spinach.

Bette or bedde grows so easily it a must in veg bed.

Why is it supposed to be blanched ?   I have only cooked it a few times but have just chucked the chopped white bits

in a frying pan with oil and garlic and fried gently with the lid on . Would it taste different ?

Cheers  K

I've a pile of the stuff, thanks to OH thinking that half a row isn't enough. It's good with eggy and cheesy sauces, and is good in a quiche. Just fry the stalks with an onion, add the chopped leaves until wilted down, turn out into a blind-baked case and cover with beaten eggs with a bit of grated cheese in it (I've used gruyere). Bake in the oven until set. It's one of those recipes which isn't too strict, and is a variation on a theme! If you Google "Swiss chard recipe" quite a few pop up.

FairyNuff

I first had this delicious dish in Ireland and it must have been the Indonesian/Irish accent that they pronounced it Gato Gato.

No problems if you cannot find any krupuk use rhop instead and likewise for fried emping substitute rhubarb.

It's a dish everyone should try - yummie.....

The Indonesians also make amazing leaf kites. I was talking to this Indonesian kite maker and I asked if there was a long family tradition of the manufacture of kites, he didn't understand so I asked what his father did for a living. He replied "He sells pizza". Ah well you can't win'em all.

I have never heard of Swiss Chard so where do I buy it and what is it called in French. It does sound very versatile and some lovely recipes as well. I adore Spinach but OH is not too  keen but eats it as I shout if he doesn't.[:D]