Things to do with Cucumbers

Fi

Apart from peeling, deseeding, salting, dilling and vinegaring.  (Not sure if the last two are proper verbs but you get my drift...)

My neighbour keeps giving me cucumbers - they're about 6 inches long, 2 inches in diameter and knobbly. (Please stop giggling[:)] - if you aren't, I apologise for my immaturity...).    I'm the only person who likes cucumber in the family and I am now the proud owner of about 10 of the things.  Can't bring myself to chuck them out - could I pickle them (sliced preferably)?  I am getting bored of cucmber salad/tzatziki etc.  Can't bear cucumber soup.   Really hate cooked cucumber.  But I do love pickles.....

Any ideas?

Fi

I love cucumber and onion in vinegar with roast beef, I was brought up on it in Yorkshire, we had it for lunch most Sundays after the Yorkshire pudding [:D]

You could try pickled cucumbers on http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/383080/Pickled-cucumber

or http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=12376  or http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/pickledcucumber_11033.shtml or this one I found on another site

CRISP CUCUMBER PICKLES 

7 1/2 lbs. cucumbers (slice before weighing)
2 c. lime to 2 gal. of water
9 c. sugar
2 qts. vinegar
3 tsp. mixed pickling spices
1 tbsp. salt

Mix cucumbers and lime and water. Soak 24 hours. Wash several times, put in clear water and change every hour for 3 hours. Mix sugar, vinegar, spices and salt. Boil and pour over and leave overnight. Bring to boil next day and boil cucumbers 30 minutes. Seal while hot in hot jars. makes 4 quarts pickles

I'm tempted by the crisp pickles - will just reduce the quantities somewhat.

Have fallen out with Nigella - I'm now convinced that technically she is not a brilliant cook - her recipes read well, but don't seem to translate flavour-wise - always a little bland for my taste - I  have to add more flavourings, use proper stock, brown the meat, whisk the elements of a mousse separately (so non-Express!).  But she is very pretty (or burlesque as the OH says - sad old sack!)....

I'm off to pickle a cucumber.....

Fi

[quote user="Iceni"]

I googled "recipe for cucumber chutney" and there seem to be plenty.

BTW as regards Nigella I find it difficult to look beyond the obvious.

John

[/quote]

Sexist comment alert!

You're a Bloke....... (aren't you?  not that I have any objection etc etc etc [:D])

Fi

PS  I know googling is always an option, but I was hoping that someone had had a similar cucumber experience and/or was an expert cucumber pickler and could advise me.  (It's too early for all this you know[:)] 

[quote user="teapot"]I remember when I was in the middle east they hollowed out cucumbers into a sort of pipe and smoked apple tobacco through them. Never tried it myself as I don't smoke.[/quote]

Have been presented with 6 more - will smoking cucumber make me a relaxed and laidback person?  Or shall we build a trebuchet in the meadow and take potshots at anything that moves (would probably terrify the sheep though).  I made the fatal mistake of telling my lovely neighbour they were delicious - I fear more cucumber gifts.   Or perhaps I should secrete them in the compost heap under the sheep poop?  (Along with the giant courgettes of a couple of weeks ago...)

Help.

Fi