Fresh Cream

LPB 2005

This might seem a mad solution to the whole cream issue, but why not either surf some French cookery sites and see what they use, or buy a French cookery book?  I have a fairly old book called "La Bonne Cuisine Francaise" which I was given by my late (French) aunt and I tend to use that book, rather than Good Housekeeping or whatever, for day to day stuff, getting the right cut of meat for particular dishes, and even for puddings which involve cream!

Fi

Good thinking Fi. I found that the French version of the instructions for my ice cream maker used creme fraiche while the English version used double cream - they treated tham as interchangable. With sugar/vanilla or fruit I dont think you can taste any difference. But I cant get creme brulee to work with creme fraiche. Anyone got a recipe that works with creme fraiche or fromage blanc?  Have found a good fresh cream (posted on another thread) that has recently appeared in our Intermarche. Creme Fraiche special chantilly - but I think it's only local to area round Limoges, and its quite expensive.

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Good thinking Fi. I found that the French version of the instructions for my ice cream maker used creme fraiche while the English version used double cream - they treated tham as interchangable. With sugar/vanilla or fruit I dont think you can taste any difference. But I cant get creme brulee to work with creme fraiche. Anyone got a recipe that works with creme fraiche or fromage blanc?  Have found a good fresh cream (posted on another thread) that has recently appeared in our Intermarche. Creme Fraiche special chantilly - but I think it's only local to area round Limoges, and its quite expensive.

[/quote]

Try this one - it worked for me!

creme brulee recipe

Fi

If your in Paris the Grande Epicerie next to Le Bon Marche sells very good Jersey Cream which is fresh. Otherwise you can get what they call in the UK, UHT cream in any supermarket in France, can't remember the exact name, it is something like creme legure or something, if you can't find it I can check the fridge next time I'm home and find out the exact name. Works fine for whipping and will keep months in the fridge.

Put some white sugar in it, about a dessert spoon. It should whip up fine. There is also two versions available in france a blue one and a red one, choose the one with higher fat content.

I'm afraid I have no patience whatsoever, but do have a trusty kenwood mixerm no effort required!

I shall visit my nearest Leader Price forthwith.  I can find a way round most cream-related issues, but I have yet to produce a good syllabub (which always went down very well with French friends in the UK!).  I soldier on......  A good lemony, boozy syllabub with raspberries - yum  I know raspberries are out season en ce moment, but I can always practice and inflict my efforts on the long-suffering Bloke.  By next summer we could be in syllabub nirvana[:D]

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]When I last tried the Creme Fleurette Entiere, it tasted nothing like English fresh cream to me. Have searched in vain for some time to find an exact equivalent.[/quote]

Syllabub still "off" then.   Burger.  Will just have to instruct next UK visitor who is driving to smuggle cream in for the freezer......

Fi

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]When I last tried the Creme Fleurette Entiere, it tasted nothing like English fresh cream to me. Have searched in vain for some time to find an exact equivalent.[/quote]

Until I found the Leader Price product I would have entirely agreed with you but this is not like any other creme fleurette that I have found. All I can say is get some and try it.

cheminot.

Many thanks all your replies can I further ask as we are in the Charente Martine and the nearest Leaderprice is some distance away kindly Cheminot has posted a picture does anybody know whether this product can be purchase in any other named stores eg Leclerc

Choose a cream with at least 33% fat.

Ensure the cream is very cold, since cold milk fat holds it shape better when it's whipped.

Some suggest keeping the bowl in freezer for 20

minutes beforehand.

Do not use reduced-fat cream, as it does not contain enough fat (it is the crystallization

of the fat which makes the cream hold).

O.K., Chaps, this is what you do.    You need a liquidizer or a blender.

1/4 pound unsalted butter

1/4 pint entire milk (red top) - try to avoid using Bridel milk, it seems to smell of goat!

In a saucepan gently heat the milk and melt the butter in it without boiling.  When butter is dissolved remove pan from heat and leave to cool for a minute or so then pour mixture into liquidizer.  Blitz for a minute to emulsify mixture.   Transfer mix to bowl and cool until cool enough to put into fridge - cover to avoid picking up smells.   When you need to use it, whisk until it is the thickness you need.  It will take flavourings like liqueurs or sugars, etc.   I use it to fill cakes and suchlike, and it makes great fools.   You cannot cook with it, however, as it would split as the heat hits the butter.  It tastes delicious, and I can honestly say it has never let me down.

Happy cooking.

• 2 weeks later...
The best cream I have found so far is fresh cream from Lidl. It comes in a plastic bottle and is found near the yogurt, it is fresh and has a use by date, about two weeks, it is the best you can find. i use this for everything and it is fab.

skigirl