CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

hakunamatata

I want to make a really nice chocolate mousse and have read all the posts about cream but I am still unsure which cream to use.  If I go for the Marscapone and creme entiere mix

what amounts do I use, or should I use something completely different? Help please, also any really good choc mousse receipes would be nice.

Here's a recipe an video: Raymond Blanc's chocolate mousse recipe

Some recipes (Delia's) mix the egg yolks to the melted chocolate, but I usually have frozen egg whites left-over from custard making...

A pinch of salt will help when whisking the egg whites.

If you want a boozy mousse, add a few drops of Amaretto, Cointreau or Rhum to the chocolate before melting.

For an unusual twist, you could add ¼ tsp of chilli powder or Piment d'Espelette to the chocolate before melting.

Ok!

200g of black choc.
6 eggs
Pinch of salt

Melt chocolate à la bain-marie.
Seperate egg whites - put the yolks in a large mixing bowl.
Whisk the egg whites and salt into fluffy stiff snow (?)
Add the chocolate to the egg yolks as soon as it's all melted (this will make little pepettes of chocolate form) then take a quarter of this mixture and fold it into the snow with a spatular taking care not to break the fluffy white stuff (keep it nice and airy).
Add the rest then pour either into 6 individual coupes or one big one just for you!
Place in the refridgerator for 2-3 hours. 

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Ok!

200g of black choc.
6 eggs
Pinch of salt

Melt chocolate à la bain-marie.
Seperate egg whites - put the yolks in a large mixing bowl.
Whisk the egg whites and salt into fluffy stiff snow (?)
Add the chocolate to the egg yolks as soon as it's all melted (this will make little pepettes of chocolate form) then take a quarter of this mixture and fold it into the snow with a spatular taking care not to break the fluffy white stuff (keep it nice and airy).
Add the rest then pour either into 6 individual coupes or one big one just for you!
Place in the refridgerator for 2-3 hours. [/quote]

Yep, it is the real TWINKLE, singing for her supper!

ultimate chocolate mousse (my (French) grandmother's recipe)...

"Nigresse"

1/4lb chocolat (cuisine)

1/4lb fresh butter (unsalted)

2 dstsp castor sugar

3 eggs

Grate the chocolate, 1 melt the butter 1 sugar,mix in the chocolate and add the three yolks of eggs. The whites are beaten to make snow (sounds daft to me)

Put in the fridge and serve with dry gaufrettes.

My grandmother's recipe - as recorded by my grandfather :)

...and OH! is it good :).

Made the Raymond Blanc chocolate mousse last night - very simple to make (and I never ever make puds), and very yummy. Husband said it was very nice but a bit too much - I didn't have a problem with the quantity! Also the Raymond blanc recipe doesn't use the egg yolks so I'm guessing its less calories - a bonus.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="hoverfrog"]ultimate chocolate mousse (my (French) grandmother's recipe)...

"Nigresse" ...[/quote]

Would that be "négresse"? [8-)]

[/quote]

probably meant to be, but neither of my grandparents are around now to talk about spelling mistakes :)

• 3 weeks later...