Nougat Recipe

josa

Hi everyone - I am looking for a good nougat recipe that works!!

I have tried a few from the internet, but the result is usually too runny and not "fluffy" enough. My family all love proper French Nougat and having just bought ten 200gm tranches from Lille @ 9 euros per tranch I perhaps would like to try again!!

Any advice/recipe much appreciated. - JD

Heres one that my grandmother wrote in a notebook about 75 years ago, hence why the language is a bit outdated.   I have not tried it personally but perhaps worth a try?

1.   Blanch 1lb almonds and cut them lenghtwise into thin strips.  Lay them on a dish in front of the fire or in a low oven with door open to get them to dry thoroughly.

2.   Melt in a sugar boiler 1/2lb loaf sugar.  When sugar is a rich brown put in the almonds - mix them well.  Cut carefully and you will have a soft paste which will harden when cold.

3  . Make some small moulds very hot - slightly but thoroughly oil them with a little sweet almond oil.  Put some of the mixture in one of them and with the handle of a teaspoon (previously oiled), spreasd it out to completely line the mould.

4.  Trim the edges when cold then turn-out the nougat.

Any large or small mould may be used and many fanciful devices may be worked with this composition.   The almonds must be cut small for intricate designs and in all cases the work must be done quickly for the sugar soon becomes too stiff to be spread into position. 

Good luck!!

[quote user="Framboise"]Heres one that my grandmother wrote in a notebook about 75 years ago, hence why the language is a bit outdated.   I have not tried it personally but perhaps worth a try?

1.   Blanch 1lb almonds and cut them lenghtwise into thin strips.  Lay them on a dish in front of the fire or in a low oven with door open to get them to dry thoroughly.
2.   Melt in a sugar boiler 1/2lb loaf sugar.  When sugar is a rich brown put in the almonds - mix them well.  Cut carefully and you will have a soft paste which will harden when cold.
3  . Make some small moulds very hot - slightly but thoroughly oil them with a little sweet almond oil.  Put some of the mixture in one of them and with the handle of a teaspoon (previously oiled), spreasd it out to completely line the mould.
4.  Trim the edges when cold then turn-out the nougat.

Any large or small mould may be used and many fanciful devices may be worked with this composition.   The almonds must be cut small for intricate designs and in all cases the work must be done quickly for the sugar soon becomes too stiff to be spread into position. 

Good luck!!
[/quote]

Good luck but have you considered the cost of almond oil? In small quantities it may make the home production of nougat impractical

Thansk for the assistance - I did look at the one from Framboise - I thought Nougat should have egg whites in it - am I wrong?

Although Almond Oil is expensive, I suspect making nougat at home is still cheaper than buying it @ 4.5 Euros per 100gm - especially as my familiy can eat loads if I let them!! - JD

No mention of it in my ancient recipe - perhaps the english terminology of "nougat" and the stuff we know as "nougat" are different?   

Heres another one then from my own personal ancient tome "The Complete Farmhouse Kitchen Cookbook" circa  1975!  [:D]

Nougat

50g blanched almonds, 125g glace cherries, 25g angelica, 50g powdered glucose, 325g granulated sugar, 125g honey, 150ml water, 1 egg white

1. butter  18cm square cake tin and line with rice paper.

2. chop almonds, cherries and angelica

3. Put glucose, sugar, honey and water in a large pan and stir over gentle heat until sugar dissolves.

4. Boil carefully to 145c (using sugar thermometer).   It burns readily towards end of boiling time and froths up.  If you don't have a thermometer, put a teaspoon of mixture into a cup of cold water.  If its ready it will break into brittle threads.

5. Meanwhile beat eggwhite in a heatproof bowl until its stiff and stands in peaks

6. When contents of pan reach correct temperature/consistency, pour slowly over the beaten eggwhite, beating all the time.

7.Mixture thickens as you beat it, then beat in fruit and nuts.

8. Pour into prepared tin and place another sheet rice paper on top.   Texture is improved if you place a weight on top for a few hours.

9. Leave to set overnight.

10. Cut into bars and wrap in wax paper or cling film.

Hope this one works!!