RECIPES - STARTER / MAIN / DESSERT

memb

Well done Geordie Girl !   They look delicious, bet you could sell a few to the French.....maybe a micro enterprise?     Greedy OH and plumber!

C'mon lets see more recipe's.   GG has got to keep this up![blink]

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="47AJM"]

Well done Geordie Girl !   They look delicious, bet you could sell a few to the French.....maybe a micro enterprise?     Greedy OH and plumber!

C'mon lets see more recipe's.   GG has got to keep this up![blink]

[/quote]

Have a great cooking Christmas G.G. This is sent tongue in cheek - take nooo notice! [;-)]

T'was the night before Christmas and all through the kitchen;
I was cooking and baking and moanin and bitchin.
I've been here for hours; I can't stop to rest.
This room's a disaster, just look at this mess!

Tomorrow I've got thirty people to feed.
They expect all the trimmings. Who cares what I need!
My feet are both blistered; I've got cramps in my legs.
The cat just knocked over a bowl full of eggs.

There's a knock at the door and the telephones ringing
Frosting drips on the counter as the microwaves dinging.
Two pies in the oven, desserts almost done;
My cookbook is soiled with butter and crumbs.
I've had alI I can stand, I can't take anymore;
Then in walks my husband, spilling rum on the floor.

He weaves and he wobbles, his balance unsteady;
Then grins as he chuckles "The eggnog is ready!"
He looks all around and with total regret,
Says "What's taking so long, aren't you through in here yet??"

As quick as a flash I reach for a knife;
He loses an earlobe; I wanted his life!
He flees from the room in terror and pain
And screams "MY GOD WOMAN, YOU'RE GOING INSANE!!"

Now what was I doing, and what is that smell?
Oh damn, it's the pies!! They're burned all to hell
I hate to admit when I make a mistake,
But I put them on BROIL instead of on BAKE.
What else can go wrong? Is there still more ahead??
If this is good living, I'd rather be dead.

Lord, don't get me wrong; I love holidays;
It just leaves me exhausted, all shaky and dazed.
But I promise you one thing, if I live till next year,
You wont find me pulling my hair out in here.
I'll hire a maid, a cook, and a waiter;
And if that doesn't work,
I'LL HAVE IT ALL CATERED!!!

[quote user="47AJM"]

And if that doesn't work,

I'LL HAVE IT ALL CATERED!!!

[/quote]

That's exactly what we did last year - ordered everything from the traiteur.  The only job for the girls was reheating things and testing the aperos, wine, brandy....[;-)]

STARTER - EASY

• Crisp Green Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
  • 4 ozs. Roquefort   -   2tbsp low-fat natural yogurt   -   1tbsp white wine vinegar   -   5tbsp extra-virgin olive oil   -    2 baby Cos or 2 hearts of Romaine lettuce   -    2 ozs. croutons (simple to make prior by cubing some bread and deep frying until golden, drain on kitchen paper)

1. To make the dressing, put half the Roquefort into a food processor, add the yogurt, vinegar and oil and whizz for 1min until combined. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • 2.Separate the lettuce leaves, wash in cold water and dry in a salad spinner or on kitchen paper. Arrange in a shallow dish, tearing any large leaves in two, and scatter the croutons over. Pour over the dressing and crumble over the remaining Roquefort.

DESSERT - EASY 

BACOFFEE POTS

2 teaspn instant espresso coffee  -  1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar  -  1 large banana, mashed  -   9 oz fat-free fromage frais
 ½ oz dark chocolate (72% cocoa solids), grated  -  2 tsp flaked almonds, toasted

Mix the coffee and sugar with 1 tbsp boiling water to dissolve. Allow to cool then stir in the mashed banana and then fold in the fromage frais, keeping a slight ripple effect. Transfer into four small glasses and chill unit required. Top with grated chocolate and almonds before serving.

Main course - Beef Casserole.   Not very unusual, but yesterday I made the best beef casserole ever, and so simple:

1 kilo stewing beef cut into chunks

1 large leek

2 large onions   

carrots, sliced

stock cubes

tin baked beans in tomato sauce

In a large casserole, brown the meat in a little oil, then add the vegetables except for the beans, and fry gently. Add water to cover, stock cubes and tin of beans. Cover and cook in a slow oven for about 3 hours. Check from time to time to see if it needs more water. You could add herbs with the vegetables. To improve this, dumplings would have been a good addition, added for the last 30 mins. We had it with jacket potatoes.

MAIN - EASY

Capped breast of chicken with chorizo  (this serves 2)

2 large chicken breasts  - 8 slices of chorizo sausage   -  1 pack of quality camembert cheese   -  Red wine   -  Olive oil  -   Seasoning

Pan fry the chicken breasts until nearly cooked and remove to the side. Slice the breasts making a pocket in which 4 slices of chorizo sausage are placed in each. Close the pockets using a couple of cocktail sticks. Add red wine to the pan juices and reduce to one third. Place the breasts in the juice for the final 2 minutes of cooking and then remove to serving plates. Cut a slice of camembert for each of the breasts, and then spoon the pan juices onto the breasts, and around the plate for presentation. Then place a slice of camembert on top of each of the chicken breasts. Serve with a crispy green salad and vine ripened tomatoes - crusty bread to the side.

• 1 month later...

[quote user="Geordie girl"]MEMB     here it is...............;[/quote]

God loves a trier Geordie girl !.....By Special request

SCONES (the way Mam used to make them and the way I have continued for years)

Do NOT grease the baking tray!!!!!  This makes about 8 and as they are so simple to make I'd rather make them fresh than make a lot and freeze them.

Preheat oven 240deg C

8 ozs flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, good pinch salt, 2ozs butter (NOT marg), 1 oz. sugar, 2ozs sultanas, milk to mix (for plain scones omit the sultanas).

Add salt and baking powder to flour then rub in the butter to a fine mix.

Add the sugar and fruit (if using), now mix to a soft manageable consistency with the milk.

Roll them out to 3/4" thick (this is important) for a lovely risen scone.

Bake quite near the top of the oven for 10 mins.  

When cool slice and fill with a spoon of jam or sliced strawberries and a dollop of fresh cream.   Heaven![:)]

[quote user="Geordie girl"]

Thanks memb, gonna make them tomorrow and when i eat them i`ll pretend i`m on a lounger in the garden with the sun beating down [:D][:D][:D].................even if it is raining

[/quote]

[:D] If its as nice tomorrow as it has been here today, you will be able to eat them outside!  Good luck!

Memb, I don't think I put in enough butter and I usually use SR flour.  What's the significance of NOT greasing the tray as I automatically grease?

Do you brush the top with milk and dust with flour or anything like that?  I do want them to look pretty?

Forgive me asking such simple things, memb.  I do cook all the time but I don't bake that often as I have spent years trying not to eat anything fattening!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Memb, I don't think I put in enough butter and I usually use SR flour.  What's the significance of NOT greasing the tray as I automatically grease?

Do you brush the top with milk and dust with flour or anything like that?  I do want them to look pretty?

Forgive me asking such simple things, memb.  I do cook all the time but I don't bake that often as I have spent years trying not to eat anything fattening!

[/quote]

Hi again, sorry internet probs this morning.   No greasing the tray, as I was taught....you want a good scone by hearing a clear "knock" when you tap the bottom (this means they are crumbly).   No brushing the top......you want them crumbly!     Mine normally rise to about 3inches tall, lovely for slicing and getting 2 scrumptious halves.      Oh life is for living, if you can't have a scone now and then its a poor job![;-)]

I use a greased and floured tray and that gives a 'dry bottom' to the scones.  The thickness of the scones is a combination of not rolling too thin (3/4" minimum as memb says), and the extra baking powder.  I use 3 good tsps baking powder to 1lb of plain flour.  If using SR flour you still need to add baking powder - each half pound of SR flour has 1tsp baking powder in, so for a recipe using 1lb of flour and 3 tsp baking powder you would need to replace with 1lb SR flour and 1 tsp baking powder.  Re glazing - for a soft (unglazed) top - dust with flour, for a light glaze - brush with milk, a more shiny glaze - brush with beaten egg yolk.

[quote user="Geordie girl"]

to grease or not to grease ..............SR or Plain flour, glaze or flour the tops.............extra baking powder ...........sweet 17 are you as confused as me?  [:'(][6]

[/quote]

Since arriving in France for scone baking I've used Gateaux flour, works perfectly for me!    Sure yours are nice Scooby, personally I only glaze my cheese scones with beaten egg.  Be nice to see a photo!    BTW my friend and I raised 264€ last summer selling my cakes and scones for an animal rescue centre, maybe Sweet 17 and GG will have such success they'll go into business together!    Hmmmmmm "Aunt Sweet's Geordie Scones"  .... sounds good to me![Www]