sorbet

dragonrouge

I have a recipe for an apple sorbet with Calva and thought to serve this in Trou Normande style between courses at a forthcoming lunch.

The recipe calls for the use of an ice cream machine or sorbet maker and to blunt I am reluctant to commit between 80 and 500 euros for one! I do understand that for the cheaper model it goes in the freezer and the other has a built in freezer. I really would not get the use out of it.

I seem to remember there is a hand method where you make the mixture put it in the freezer and then re-visit with a fork every hour or so. Is that correct please and does it work please

[quote user="dragonrouge"]I seem to remember there is a hand method where you make the mixture put it in the freezer and then re-visit with a fork every hour or so. Is that correct please and does it work please[/quote]

I've made ice-cream this way and it worked fine.  It is a little labour intensive and easy to forget to stir it. 

I used a metal bowl and a metal spoon to scrape the frozen part off the inside surface of the bowl. This scraping and stirring is what makes the 'fluffiness'.   I can't see any reason why this method wouldn't work for sorbet.

I was given an ice-cream maker as a gift, the type with a bowl to freeze and  an electric stirrer in the lid. The ice-cream made in this is lighter (fluffier) because it's stirred all the time.  I don't use the whole machine very often but the frozen bowl gets used for serving boules of (shop bought!) ice-cream or ice cubes for drinks.

Hope that helps

Krups was one that has been recommended to me and if I too could buy a second hand one then I would.

Here is the recipe.

1 1/3 peeled tart apple (one Large)

3 cups water

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon lemon zest

1/4 cup Calva

In medium saucepan over medium heat bring the chopped apple water and sugar to a simmer. Cover the pan lower the heat and cook for about 15 minutes until the apples are very tender. Remove from the heat and cool the mixture to room temperature. Add the lemon juice lemon zest and Calva and stir the mixture thoroughly. Chill it until very cold about two hours. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instruction.

Hope that helps. I wonder whether ebay here in France would list sorbet makers must try.

Please can someone report back on their findings recipe wise for I think there is truly not enough Calva. But then I would having lived in Normandy and after a while taking another route from our home to bypass our neighbour who if he saw you at 8.30 in the morning on the way to get bread would invite one in for a coffee and some home made Calva

I would highly reccommend a magimix for ~80€.

If you want to do it manually I would use a strong metal whisk and lots of elbow grease...

or liquid nitrogen..

The idea being that the quicker it solidifies the less big crystals... or the harder you beat it the smaller the crystals will be.

The recipe sounds good Dragonrouge, I'll definitely try it out.

I used my Krups for the first time last night. I made a yoghurt ice-cream with citrus fruits : Greek yoghurt, sugar, and lemon juice (I used lemon, lime, orange and clementine as that was what I had). It was very good and much much better than when I had previously made ice cream 'by hand' and so much better than bought ice-cream that has goodness-knows-what in it!

Sweet 17 from the Welsh Coastal region I have searched for a posting? Cannot find it will continue looking but please just a little help as to where it is to be found?

I currently am faced with putting a lot of logs that were delivered this morning into the shed or doing some legal stuff. I prefer the legal stuff and as long as I am gainfully employed my wife is happy but of course we are currently facing the white jersey with the red rose at Twickenham. I am of course Welsh my wife is from the Shires.

It is a time for reflection and to value one's marriage. Difficult times indeed