2 peppercorns

1 tomato

225 g fresh or frozen mixed veggies

2 tsp cornflour

2 tbsp single cream

2 tsp dill sprigs

2 tsp chopped parsley

pinch sugar

Wash the fish and sprinkle with lemon juice from half lemon.

Cut the onion into rings and slice the other lemon.

Bring the water to the boil in a saucepan, together with the vinegar, salt, the onion rings, lemon slices, bay leaf and peppercorns and boil for 10 minutes, turn heat to low add the fish cutlets and cook them for about 10 minutes at a bare simmer.

Peel, deseed and dice the tomato, cook the mixed vegetables and arrange them in a warm bowl, take the cutlets out of the pan, place them on top of the vegetables and keep the bowl warm in a low oven, mix the cornflour in a little water, strain 125 ml of the fish stock into a small saucepan, then stir in the dissolved cornflour and bring to the boil once, stir in the diced tomato, cream and herbs to make the sauce and season to taste with a little sugar, salt & pepper.

Merlu Forentine

2 Merlu cutlets

40 g butter

salt and freshly ground black pepper

squeeze of lemon juice

675 g spinach

1 onion, finely chopped

small clove garlic, crushed

3 tbsp wholemeal flour

150 ml milk

1 tomatoe sliced

100 g gruyere cheese, grated

paprika

Butter a sheet of aluminium foil. Season the merlu cutlets, sprinkle with a squeeze of lemon juice and top with a few knobs of butter, place in the foil and parcel up, place on a baking tray and bake in a moderate oven 180C for 20 minutes or until just tender, cook the spinach in just the water left on the leaves for 3 to 4 minutes then drain and squeeze out all the moisture, chop finely. melt 15 g of the butter and gently cook the onion and garlic, cool slightly and mix into the finely chopped spinach, make the sauce with the remaining 15 g (1 oz) butter, flour and milk and add the juices from the cooked cutlets, make a base of spinach in an ovenproof dish which has been lightly buttered, and make two dents in this base in which to place the cutlets, cover with the sauce and make an overlapping line of sliced tomatoes over the dish, top with the grated cheese and a sprinkling of paprika then brown under a grill or bake in a hot oven 220C for 8 to 10 minutes until golden and bubbling.

Careful allow to cool for 5 minutes otherwise no kissing for a week !!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoy

Thank you, Fridgeman.  I'm going to print out your recipes so that I'll have them handy.

I feel duty bound to treat good food with respect, especially as the best is expensive.  I'd rather eat something of good quality, pay more and have it less often.

We recently went to a BBQ at our neighbours house and they cooked a whole merlu. The fishmonger at SuperU had put the tail in the fish's mouth, and then it was wrapped in a double layer of foil with some herbs and lemon juice on it. Baked on the BBQ for about 30 mins (or a little more not quite sure). It was absolutely delicious and I can't wait to try the same thing on my BBQ.

According to a book I use, merlu is hake, and merlan is whiting.

But I think they both belong to the same family of fishes.  One reference on google give them as alternative names for the same fish.

They are also related to cod.

Hi All

Does this make it any clearer?

Extract from:

The Fish Labelling (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2006

Whiting Merlangius merlangus (L.)

Hake All species of Merluccius (L.)

Cod or Codling Gadus morhua

Although some fish are similar to other fish they may or may not be related, as you can see the Cod, Whiting and Hake belong to different families

But I don't care they all taste yummy

Simply pan fried in buttter seasoned, squeeze of lemon..............Heaven

[quote user="Fridgeman"]Hi All Does this make it any clearer? Extract from: The Fish Labelling (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2006 Whiting Merlangius merlangus (L.) Hake All species of Merluccius (L.) Cod or Codling Gadus morhua Although some fish are similar to other fish they may or may not be related, as you can see the Cod, Whiting and Hake belong to different families But I don't care they all taste yummy Simply pan fried in buttter seasoned, squeeze of lemon..............Heaven[/quote]

If cod is morhua (?morue) what is cabillaud?

Gem, cabillaud is definitely cod:  looks and tastes like cod.

I associate morue with salted cod.  Could be I don't really know as I never buy the stuff.

Pierre, I've never seen it at that price.  I payed just over €11 for my 2 cutlets.  It is a very fine, white flesh.

Other fish I really like is turbot (expensive) and dorade royale (could be expensive but worth buying when on promo).

[quote user="Fridgeman"] Simply pan fried in buttter seasoned, squeeze of lemon..............Heaven[/quote]

and if you don't want butter and a dirty pan, wrap in foil with a few herbs, try corriander or mint, some capers, splash of white wine, baked in oven or even on a barbecue . . . mmm, maybe not heaven but pretty fair, (especially with the rest of the bottle of muscadet[:)])

Well, I always thought that morue was salt cod and cabillaud was 'normal' cod but why the difference in name?  Anyway, my favourite recipe for cod is  as follows: thick cod fillets; cover with a mixture of fresh breadcrumbs, crushed garlic, grated lemon rind and parsley mixed up with melted butter.  Bake at  +/- 180 for as long as it takes to  brown the breadcrumbs and cook the fish , c'est a dire, pas trop longtemps.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

Well, I always thought that morue was salt cod and cabillaud was 'normal' cod but why the difference in name?  [/quote]

C'est sans queue ni tête.....just like the way I have to serve fish in order to persuade OH to eat it!

Hi All

Gem.........

Gadus morhua Linnaeus, 1758

Atlantic cod Catalog of Fishes (gen., sp.) | ITIS | CoL

Classification Actinopterygii | Gadiformes | Gadidae

Synonyms Gadus morhua morhua, Gadus arenosus, Gadus callarias

Common names Morue de l'Atlantique, Bacalao del Atlántico, Old soaker

The french name "cabillaud" for cod entered the the french language in 1278 prior to that it was morue (yet another bit of useless information)

Salt cod is morue salee but over the years the salee has been dropped hence the confussion!!!!!

Sweet .......if you like turbot (I love it but not the price) try brill, Scophthalmus rhombus, barbue (F) from the same family as turbot it has a slightly more delicate taste / flavour.

just john.......that is a super way of cooking fish, when or should that be if, I catch a carp that's the way I cook it.

Cheap fish dish......the humble Mackerel, Maquereau (f)

gutted, washed, rub on a little olive oil, season, fresh herbs in cavity, place on tray under hot grill, cook 3 to 5 min's (depending on size) carefuly turn over cook again 3 to 5 min's onto plate, eat with fresh bread, no need for knives and forks, yes, pick them up with your fingers ( I can hear the gasps from here :) oh and leave the head on as well :) .......but if you can't go native....head off and use cutlery but not that dreaded Victorian fish knive, they should all be melted down and made into something useful.

love to all

How about this for an eye opener.........

Quay side prices Kg Thursday 13th May 2010

Shetland

6 Boats landed 785 boxes

Cod - £1.41-£2.25

Haddock - £1.39-£2.83

Whiting - £1.52-£2.24

Lemon Sole - £1.10-£4.95

Monks - £3.18-£4.20

Skate - £1.82

Skate (Blue) - £-

Skate (Mixed) - £-

Skate (Roker) - £2.12

Megrim - £1.47-£4.17

Plaice - £0.41

Haddock (Round) - £0.65

Whiting (Round) - £1.15

Squid - £3.37

Turbot - £12.29

Tusk - £-

Witches - £1.01-£1.91

Hake - £1.09

Halibut - £9.52-£10.53

John Dory - £-

Cats - £1.44

Saithe - £0.77-£1.06

Ling - £1.24

Lythe - £-

Eel - £-

sorry how much is hake ????

Here's another way to cook fish - I used it with merlan fillets:

Butter a pyrex dish. Chop a tbsp each of parsley and shallot, add about 4 tbsp white wine (dry), and allow to soften in a medium oven for about 5 mins.

Lay fish fillets on top, s&p, cover with buttered paper, bake slowly for about 15 mins.

Scoop the parsley and shallot from beneath the fish, spread over the fillets and grill until lightly browned.

This is out of my Elizabeth David book, adapted from her recipe for Sole Bercy;

bit late but this is a concise fish lexicon

http://www.hafro.is/ordabok/?op=list&wanted=6&PHPSESSID=bd82bd6e47777b515cc79fad179fc020#L

btw: Merluchon is the one with the tail in its mouth... a baby merlu