Plums

woolybanana

This year, the plum tree which is quite small is breaking its branches with fruit which is just about to go over, I think. They are not the very big ones, are only just semi-soft and have a bitter sweet taste, and are almost al dente. Not unpleasant.

Obviously I do not wish to waste this bounty but do not wanna make jam, so, could I simply boil up the fruit, destone it and then put loads bagged up in the freezer as compote? Would it keep for the winter?

Would it be best to pick a couple of bucket fulls and spread them out for a couple of days to ripen further, then cook them?

Advice much appreciated.

I used this recipe this week for spiced plum chutney. The only changes were red wine vinegar rather than cider vinegar and a heavier hand with the chilli flakes [:)]

http://localfoods.about.com/od/summer/r/PlumChutney.htm

[quote user="woolybanana"]Thank you guys, I shall start picking tomorrow I think, and keep the mouldy ones for my nasty neighbour and give the nice ones to the pretty one!![/quote]

Hi Wooly,

you have started picking already, favouring the pretty one!

[quote user="Gemonimo"]I freeze plums and cherries raw and then make them up into jam or crumbles or whatever when I need them. That way they don't get cooked twice.[/quote]

Question: do you then remove the stone once you have defrosted them, and is it easy to do so?

I will do what you do, Gem, at least with some of the plums I was just given (YEAH!!! At last!) - they are also on the slightly unripe side.

Should I try to ripen them further by doing what Wooly does: spreading them - on newspaper, presumably, and then freezing them whole, stone and all?

Yes, 5-e, I take the stones out when they have defrosted and it's a doddle.

Right now I have a tomato problem.  Last year I had too many and couldn't give them away but as I don't like waste I made futures in tomato puree and tomato sauce and it's still in the garage (I bottled it) and now the problem has returned.  However, I have found a brilliant way of using this years crop.  I have been cutting them in half, baking them in the oven for 6hours at 100 degrees and when they are sort of dried out and syrupy I freeze them still in halves. They make great tomato tarts (they don't get all waterlogged), and I'll be eating them all winter.