oysters

Patf

Just got back from Carrefour where they were doing a brisk trade in oysters. They cost 80centimes each and people were buying boxes costing 59€ [blink]

I've never had an oyster, and am not likely to. But I wondered, are they really worth all that money? And where does the tradition come from to have oysters at Noel?

Apparently they are very rare this year as a lot have been dying, hence the price.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg6oly_noel-des-huitres-plus-rares-et-plus-cheres_news

They are probably eaten at Christmas and New Year as it is the season for them, though you can now eat them all year round, but they are milkier than in the Winter months.

My brother became very very ill after eating  bad oysters years ago, we had to take him to the emergency room and it was very serious. I have always heard that oysters should not be eaten in a month with an "r" in it. I have only had oysters a few times since my poor brother's experience but felt very nervous about it. But I wouldn't risk eating them this time of year because of the "r" rule.

Its just conspicous consumption like fois gras (which I do love though) truffles and caviar its the rarity and price that makes them so sought after, if they were delivered discreetly to your door sales would fall by 90% methinks.

What is really ironic is that so many of these highly priced rare commodities were one the staple diet of paysans before overexploitation and others would turn their nose up at them.

I love them. They are best eaten straight from the shell. Bur if you must cook them - or have someone who says they do not like oysters - this is my favourite way:- Shuck the oysters, dab on a blob of cream, a dash of sweet chilli, and then grate some parmesan over them and grill until the cheese bubles and turns golden. Delicious.

[quote user="WJT"]

My brother became very very ill after eating  bad oysters years ago, we had to take him to the emergency room and it was very serious. I have always heard that oysters should not be eaten in a month with an "r" in it. I have only had oysters a few times since my poor brother's experience but felt very nervous about it. But I wouldn't risk eating them this time of year because of the "r" rule.

[/quote]

December has an R in it !  (We have that rule in the UK too ) Its the summer months that don't, May, June, July & August

Sorry, just re read you post - yess it is the other way about, though go to Cancale and you would never believe it !

I used to love oysters until one fine day (anyone get that?) my mouth refused to open for me to put an oyster in it. No way could I open my mouth unless I had set the oyster down.

Someone suggeted that I must have had an iffy one and that my body was policing me.

I can eat them cooked in Champagne though, lovely!

For me they taste of the sea, and the sea was the one thing I really used to miss in the french alps.

As I posted in another thread, I eat oysters for breakfast on most lazy Saturday mornings with a glass of Picpoul de Pinet

On the other hand they are excellent 'gratinés' on the shell with a sauce based on Noilly Prat  (especially the ones from Marseillan ), or at the moment foie gras..

[quote user="NormanH"]As I posted in another thread, I eat oysters for breakfast on most lazy Saturday mornings with a glass of Picpoul de Pinet

On the other hand they are excellent 'gratinés' on the shell with a sauce based on Noilly Prat  (especially the ones from Marseillan ), or at the moment foie gras..

[/quote]

We always get our from an oyster producer friend of ours in Marseillan too but this year there weren't enough to go around because of the bacteria that's killing the babies.  I'm not fussy on them raw but I'll eat a couple with Basalmic vinegar and chopped shallots. I like them grilled with Noilly Prat and parmesan but my husband loves them raw.  This year ours came from Oleron where they are filtered in the bassins by an algae that only grows where IT decides.  Oh and the Picpoul de Pinet is also our choice of wine to accompany them.

Interesting article here about oyster theft and the bacteria.

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2010/12/14/969366-Huitres-rares-cheres-et-sous-surveillance.html