NOVELTY WINE

Kieran

Just a quick question folks. How difficult is it to bring wine from France into the UK for resale. I've found a wine that might appeal to people for gifts and would like to find out all the relevant cost inplications? It would be on a very small scale so Mr Bordeaux has no need to worry!

Kieran

I looked into doing this a while ago and decided that it just wsn't worth the hassle or expense.

It used to be that you could fill up your Transit van, get booked on a boat (as freight) then at Dover or Folkestone declare the lot, pay the duty and VAT and off you went (OK not quite so simple but not too bad)

Now, there are no freight customs (sorry, Border Control)  at the Ports so the vehicle has to be sealed and under Bond, to go to an approved Bonded Warehouse (if you can find one that will handle small quantities) where you do the same paperwork and wait on the arrival of the local Excise man (or whatever its called now) which could be days or weeks and its all geared around large trade volumes.  See more HERE 

The excise duty on 'ordinary' wine (ie 12% ABV) is £2.25 per litre, with VAT  of 20% on top of that.  Its much more duty if the wine is strong or sparkling.

By the time you've paid for a haulier, bond, warehouse, duty,VAT you can only turn a profit if you do it by the Artic load and can buy very low sell very high.

Sorry to put a dampner on your plan, I too was not too happy when I found out the above