Promote Britain

Just Katie

I hope to be cooking for a large group of French people soon and will need to put a menu together.  The diners will pay 10 euro so the budget is small.  I can make whatever I like but it must be 3 courses.  I want to show the French what we are made of and promote our wonderful cuisine.  Ideally I would like to put a Welsh slant onto it because I am sick of people asking me what part of England Wales is in

I therefore thought of

Creamy Leek Soup

Stuffed lambs heart with potato and swede mash, green beans and red onion gravy

Bread and butter pudding with Penderyn whisky cream sauce

What do you think?

Of course you can come Clair, are you near Paris?  Yes RH I was going to soak the raisins in Welsh Whisky.  It is hearty food so the portions will be small, served in a French style, nothing touching on the plate, that sort of thing.

I love stuffed heart and I am wondering if I am being a little too risky serving this.

Do you really think they are rich.  OK the mains in very rich but I think the Leek soup is light and with delicate taste.  I could lighten the desert.  Maybe just soak the sultanas in whisky and serve cold, cut into a square so it will sit on a plate with a drizzle of cream.

How does that honestly sound to you?

I think British food has moved on a bit from curry which is a bit Keys & Gray[:)], Lovely though the original menu maybe, if you feel like kicking over the traces,  how about a Welsh lamb starter of Julian strips of neck fillet with a side of lambs lettuce or even plum sauce and small pancakes followed perhaps by a main of trendy Rabbit in a creamy leek casserole served with Celeriac mash and broccoli, then maybe a desert of home baked gooseberry tarts dusted with icing sugar, serve with cream mixed with a little elderflower cordial.[6]

I have tried using pannetone and brioche in my bread and butter pudding and frankly I have no idea what the fuss is about.

I tried because it was suggested by posters on food boards, friends and on here.

My bread and butter pudding is always light and rises like a souffle, so exactly what differences have those of you who use brioche or pannetone experienced? I would really love to know.

I don't think anyone could claim that pannetone or brioche make better bread and butter pudding, Idun.   It's just a question of thrift - using up something that's left over.

As long as you leave the bread/pannetone/brioche to soak for some time with the "wet" ingredients before baking, any version should rise to dizzying heights, and taste delicious.

Angela

We had a "repas anglais " in our commune in the autumn and my friend and I spent ages suggesting recipes. But in the end they made up their own menu from the internet - it was well done actually:

pea soup with mint

chicken pie, beans in tomato sauce (homemade)

banoffee pudding.

tea from a teapot.

plus lots of alcohol of course, including Guinness.

But your menu sounds good, Katie, especially the welsh lamb.[:)] though it's a tight budget - I  think we charged 15€. I thought it was going to be catered but no, everything was made in the tiny kitchen in the Hall, though they sent the pies out to be baked in private ovens. We helped of course.

Ah yes, with guests it has to be souffled. We actually like it cold too, even though it has collapsed.

I often do a lemon one. Grated lemon rind in the custard and the slices of buttered bread smoothered in a thick coat of good lemon curd, in France it was always homemade lemon curd.

There are some lovely suggestions there.  I will give the curry a miss though, I dont think the French will understand the joke.  Peter, I thought of Laverbread but it is a bit difficult to get in the French markets, also the thick bacon to accompany which will leave me with just a bowl of cockles