Starters

theboy

I did a very mini roast dinner as a starter once (but it was a bit of a faff!) - as a 'rosbif' I felt duty-bound to live up to expectations!  It did go down well though.

Mini yorkshire pudding (made in miniature muffin moulds)

couple of small slices roast beef (rare though, I couldn't bring myself to incinerate it) + small blob horseradish + pan juices

2 or 3 minute roast spuds

[quote user="theboy"]What is your favourite traditional British starter, (ideas needed please). regards, the boy[/quote]

[quote user="Bugsy"]Sliced Tomatos Sliced Mozzarella Torn Mint Smother with Balsamic Vinegar Serve in a shallow dish.[/quote]

Think you may have missed something, although very nice [:)]

And the best basil I have ever had in my life was from a shop called 'les halles' near where I used to live. Tiny basil leaves, so tasty and almost sweet in their intesity. And yet the latin name on the little tub is for bog standard basil? I really wished that it had been another name, as someone with no gardening skills what so ever, I would have given a go at growning this.

[quote user="Bugsy"]Sliced Tomatos Sliced Mozzarella Torn Mint Smother with Balsamic Vinegar Serve in a shallow dish.[/quote]

Is that specifically British ? I do it very often in summer ! At second thought, no, basil instead of the mint .

Interesting reading people's suggestions about a British starter. Most of the starters that I would consider British are quite old-fashioned, and personally I would only make them if I were specifically doing a british menu. I was just thinking how our cuisine has become more international, and starters are so varied they could come from anywhere. One of my standbys is a salad with shredded lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and lardons generously dressed with a vinaigrette and served with warm French bread. but is it British? 

Frenchie, do you find difficulty getting hold of nice smoked cod or haddock, especially the undyed variety?

I have stopped making dishes like cullen skink and kedgeree because I don't like the looks of the smoked fish in Intermarché.