Elderflower cordial time here in 85!

Loiseau

The elderflower heads are brightening the hedgerows, so I am just off to pick some!

If anyone wants the recipe for elderflower cordial, here it is again:

30 elderflowers (that's the whole flower heads)
2 thinly sliced lemons
1.5 litres of boiling water
1.5 kg granulated sugar
70g citric acid (buy from a chemist's shop; may have to order it 24 hours in advance)

Shake the flower heads to get rid of any wildlife!
Place the elderflowers in a large bowl and put the sliced lemons on top.
Add all the other ingredients and stir gently until dissolved.
Cover the bowl with a tea towel, and leave for at least 24 hours, stirring
occasionally.

Strain through a fine sieve and pour into bottles.
Keep in the fridge, or it can be frozen (best to use plastic Perrier bottles or similar).

Dilute with still or sparkling water.

Angela

Thanks for posting that, Loiseau.  I intend making some but so far haven't been able to find any citric acid - the pharmacist looked at me as if I wanted something to make a 'bombe artisanale' when I asked for it but I'm not giving up.  Wonder what it would be like with a bit of bubbly or white wine.   Sort of kir a l'anglaise!

Yes, I have had that reaction too, in France.  I am sure somebody with more experience [Www] will be along soon to correct me, but is it something that people "cut" heroin with?  Can't imagine anythign more horrible myself.  The taste of citric acid is soooooooooooooooo sour.

One shop, which eventually reluctantly weighed it out for me, asked what I was wanting it for, and I reeled off the recipe thinking that, as they were French, they would be interested in anything foodie;  but I think they were just quizzing me in case of my having more nefarious intentions!

Angela

I  don't use citric acid but use more lemons instead and squeeze the juice out.  Seems to work well.

And yes, it is nice with fizzy dry wine (cheaper the better!)

I never thought about freezing it in plastic bottles, that would be agreat way of keeping it as it does have a tendency to ferment if just left t ambient temperature [:'(]

I'll have to wait a few more weeks before the flowers are out here in Luxembourg

As for cutting heroin, yes citric acid can be used (but it's likely as not to be sugar or talc or cement dust .....) I don't think that 'taste' is a major concern of addicts, especially as it's injected.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I  don't use citric acid but use more lemons instead and squeeze the juice out.  [/quote]

Pierre, how many lemons would you use for the recipe Loiseau posted?  I can't wait to get started!

Citric acid is not essential but prolongs life,
not much point if family are going to drink it all one afternoon and you make leftovers into sorbet! [8-|]

Nannys favourite:

30 elderflower heads
6 pints (3L) boiling water
2lb (1K) caster sugar
citric acid (not essential but helps it keep longer)
2 oranges
3 lemons
Better to gently immerse elderflowers in clean water so as to remove creatures but not to remove too much pollen with water jets etc, drain.
Pour boiling boiling water over the sugar in large bowl
Stir well and leave to cool,
Add oranges and lemons sliced, then elderflowers, citric acid to keep,
Leave for 24 hours with occasional stir (some of you should be good at that)[:D]
Strain through muslin and pour into sterilised bottles

Can be frozen diluted in ice-cubes for drinks (any clear spirit will do!)
or lollies to suck, icecream machines and makes a refreshing sorbet,
If you are into japanese tempura you can also deepfry elderflower dunked in a light beer batter on its own, or serve as a sophisticated pud, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, cointreau, and plop of vanilla ice cream, mmm 

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/1231938/ShowPost.aspx#1231938

Gemonimo - I would add the juice of 2 or 3 lemons to the recipie that Loiseau posted, or the one that JustJohn posted after.  I use more flower heads though, maybe 40 or 50 and pick them when the sun is out, no kidding, it does give a stronger flavour.

[quote user="Loiseau"]

I think you will only know if you make both versions, and compare them, Gemonimo!

Mine is ready for bottling tonight...  [:)]

Angela

[/quote]

Good idea Loiseau. Can't imagine why I didn't think of it before[:D] I'm off to pick my flowers this morning and will get started this afternoon.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Unless they are awash with alcohol, I don't trust any of these cordials or whatever.[/quote]

[quote user="just john "] Can be frozen diluted in ice-cubes for drinks (any clear spirit will do!)
or mixed with icecream sprinkled with cinnamon sugar & cointreau,  [/quote]

My Nanny Annie, made two versions, one as described and the other for which I don't have the recipe which was extremely alcoholic, apparently if you drank it sat down, you'd have great difficulty getting up, no doubt the wine makers out there could advise.

• 2 weeks later...