repas anglais

Patf

Pat, have the gravy served on the side so that they can have it or not as they pleased.

As for dessert, how about something like Banana Fool that's been made with Birds Custard and won't mind sitting around whilst they all have seconds of the main course![:P]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Patf"]It does look as if cottage pie might be the best choice. I'll have to negotiate with my sausage&mash friend.
And for afters, something with Birds Custard.
I'm interested to see that you like english gravy, 5E. Even I've gone off it lately. I just reduce the meat juices and use them as they are - no flour.
[/quote]

Yes, cottage pie probably better than saucisses/purée which is a standard French dish for kids. (a bit like jambon/coquillettes)[:)]

English gravy is still a novelty for me Pat, as I always shunned it when I was in England. But someone brought me some Bisto granules recently[:'(] and I thought it was very handy - mixed with the meat juices). A bit too much like a chemistry set, but just occasionally, it's a good moistener. And it is so English that it would be good to have it. They will love it.

What about good old stew and dumplings followed by treacle sponge pudding or spotted dick with custard...they won't be going anywhere fast after that.  I'm sure it was a school tactic - to make sure you didn't move in chemistry class.  Fall asleep maybe - but a board rubber would soon fix that.

When we used to go to England, haven't been for years, prawn cocktail and Black Forest Gâteau always seemed to be on the menu.   [:D]

[quote user="Clair"]Prawn cocktail + steak and kidney pie + treacle tart
[:P]
[/quote]

That's about what I would also have suggested Clair, with cheddar and stilton before the dessert.  Can't expect them to have the cheese after, they would never understand.

Noman's roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and parsnips and horseradish sauce was also my choice, also maybe trifle for dessert (can't get more typical than that!).

It would have to be a quality meal not to stand up to the bad reputation of British food.  Cottage pie might seem very like hachis parmentier and not very original to them.

Baked beans would certainly be a non, no !

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

When we used to go to England, haven't been for years, prawn cocktail and Black Forest Gâteau always seemed to be on the menu.   [:D]

But so very passé now, don't you know.....

with cheddar and stilton before the dessert.  Can't expect them to have the cheese after, they would never understand.

But I thought that was the whole point - and English meal - this is exactly what makes it English - after - not before

Noman's roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and parsnips and horseradish sauce was also my choice, also maybe trifle for dessert (can't get more typical than that!).

I don't see trifle as very English - but jelly (with fruit if you want) and custard - yes, that is very English

It would have to be a quality meal not to stand up to the bad reputation of British food.  Cottage pie might seem very like hachis parmentier and not very original to them.

I so agree ....

Baked beans would certainly be a non, no !

[/quote]

This from a Yorkshire woman, who actually prefers French food, except for roast beef (properly cooked) and what else - Yorkshire puddings!!

Unfortunately, jelly is another of those "typical English food" items that makes French people cringe, and gets them to go "beurk - look what they eat those anglais!". And I would still strongly advise NOT to have the cheese after pudding - however typically English that is. It is truly one English food habit that would put off most French! 

So, yes, provide some "English" cooking, the kind that will make the French say "oh I never knew it could be that good!" but do not reinforce negative stereotypes when they are deeply ingrained!

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

[/quote]

With a DVD of Abigail's Party playing in the background ?

John

If you want to really shock them, there's always Nigella's recipe for Ham in Coca Cola! I've never tried it, but have been told it's really delicious!

And how about Delia's truly scrumptious Truffle Torte?

I've never managed to make that go wrong, and the ham in coca cola is also meant to be foolproof too!  [:D]

Russethouse, just been to Mya - no treacle tart on the cheapo menu today, or I would definitely have ordered it. Two courses were enough for me, but I tried my husband's parfait and my brother's classic crepe suzette, using the long-handled spoon I was given. Both were excellent, but the crepe was really wonderful. Not that we could recommend that for the repas anglais! [:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

JJ, that's what I call inspired.  In fact, I think I might just cook that myself.  But, do you know where to find porter or proper ale? [/quote]

Brittany has quite a few breweries which produce proper Breton ale. Also we have a pub in the next village - French owned - where you can buy Guiness (sp?) and other 'foreign' ales, if you have the inclination. A fair number of sedate bikers turn up there regularly - so I am told.

Sue

Only 2 choices as far as I am concernerd.

Play to everyones predjudices and go for roast beef.  As big a rib joint as you can get your hands on and supervise the cooking so its not overcooked.  Cut it in front of people like a carvery.   Yorkshire puddings (next time someone is coming from England get them to bring a ton of Aunt Bessies (other makes are available!) they are cheap and easy).  Proper roast potatoes cooked in duck fat (see any Jamie Oliver recipe), roast parsnips in honey. broccolli and swede.

Steamed jam or syrup pudding and custard. (I prefer jam).

Or

Steak and kidney pudding, onion mash and 2 veg.

Apple and blackberry pie with custard, cream or ice cream.