repas anglais

Patf

I made bread and butter pudding for french guests recently. I soaked the sultanas in rum and served it with home made custard. It went down a treat.

On the subject of beef, I find the stewing steak used for bouef borg to be very good.

As someone said earlier, A good steak and ale pie or even a stew served with potatoes to mirror bouef bourg (sorry, I cant spell it) followed by bread and butter pudding. Both will keep and I think both are respectable British dishes.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eton Mess, or Eton Desordre I called it. Easy and our french friends love it. Buy frozen fruit then you don't have to worry whether you are making enough of the stuff as you can always pull a bit more out of the freezer. If you can't get your hands on double cream then mascapone whipped with creme liquid is almost as good as the real thing! Don't stir in the broken meringue until the last minute to keep it crunchy. Simples!

Chris

Chris

Just caught up with this thread - thanks for the recipe Fi, and more ideas from others.

I'll have to make a list and do some negotiation eventually.

I like the idea of the english newspapers - the Mirror or the Financial Times?  [:D]

• 1 year later...
I am Paul Lees a rotarian in East Yorkshire district 1270 and will be in Ribaute near to Lezignan from the 8th to 29th September.  I would very much like to attend a club meet whilst I am there but my French is very limited and feel that unless someone can help me I would not manage well.

Can you help?

Paul

Pies. The french do have pies, only tarts both sweet and savoury. You could do a selection of meat and for pudding something like a bread and butter pudding,cheesecake made with mascapone or trifle which goes down well with our french friends.

In France they already have shepherds pie (hachis parmentier) and crumbles which are terrible.

If you do pies with mash or roast potatoes, remember to do some good gravy as well. Other things like bubble and squeak are good.

Well some french do have pies. In the Central region of France they have them and maybe other regions do to. My friend was from the Auvergne and she would make a pie with potatoe and cream and I cannot remember what else in it. It was very good. And she would serve it as a starter!

Here it is

http://annuaire.toques-auvergne.com/recette.php?id=80

and I think she did this one too.

http://lespaniersdemartin.over-blog.com/article-tourte-d-auvergne-au-chou-frise-et-au-cantal-69602011.html

[quote user="gruntfuttock"]I am Paul Lees a rotarian in East Yorkshire district 1270 and will be in Ribaute near to Lezignan from the 8th to 29th September.  I would very much like to attend a club meet whilst I am there but my French is very limited and feel that unless someone can help me I would not manage well.

Can you help?

Paul

[/quote]

This new member has just revived this thread ( why?)

We had the meal last September and they made PIE! Chicken pie with hard boiled eggs and olives. Got the recipe off the internet. Pea soup first, and banoffee pudding for dessert with guiness and an english cuppa to finish.

It was quite well attended and my friend and I helped, although most of the cooking was done by the french ladies on the committee. I thought it was going to be catered, but no. They sent the pies out to private homes to be baked.

[quote user="Patf"][quote user="gruntfuttock"]I am Paul Lees a rotarian in East Yorkshire district 1270 and will be in Ribaute near to Lezignan from the 8th to 29th September.  I would very much like to attend a club meet whilst I am there but my French is very limited and feel that unless someone can help me I would not manage well.

Can you help?

Paul
[/quote]
This new member has just revived this thread ( why?)
We had the meal last September and they made PIE! Chicken pie with hard boiled eggs and olives. Got the recipe off the internet. Pea soup first, and banoffee pudding for dessert with guiness and an english cuppa to finish.
It was quite well attended and my friend and I helped, although most of the cooking was done by the french ladies on the committee. I thought it was going to be catered, but no. They sent the pies out to private homes to be baked.
[/quote]If you put "Rotary" in the search box, Pat, this is the only thread which comes up.  Thus perhaps our new poster (what a welcome!) was looking for similarly minded Rotarians and came up with this?

I'm sorry I can't help you, Gruntfuttock, but I do love your forum name!