baking without sugar

idun

Val - Just found that my Mother has type II Diabetes. I've never heard of Hermesitas powder but would like to tell her about it. I did a google search but found only recipes using it. Can you tell me where I might be able to get information about it and where I can buy it, also?

Agave syrup is OK if used occasionally, in very small quantities.  Its low GI rating is due to the fact that it consists mainly of fructose (which is processed differently to glucose in the body, and is not measured by the GI system).  It doesn't raise blood glucose much, but does raise blood fructose.

Agave syrup has an even higher fructose content than high fructose corn syrup, often considered the worst commercial sweetener.

But, as with all things, in moderation it is probably fine.

EDIT... oooh, I see that Sue beat me to it. 

I am an echo [:$]

[quote user="Cat"]

Agave syrup is OK if used occasionally, in very small quantities. 

EDIT... oooh, I see that Sue beat me to it. 

I am an echo [:$][/quote]

Not an echo at all, you have explained it much better than I could do which is why I highlighted the site.

When I swapped from using cow's milk on my muesli I found a soya product I liked instead and 'agave syrup' was listed in the ingredients so, not having heard of it before, I looked it up - as you do.

Sue

My OH has type 2 and Hermesitas powder was the only one recommended by the nurses. We got some in our local Super U, it was very expensive but is only used to sweeten yoghurt or fruit etc but I have not seen any for some time. I think you might be able to find it from a pharmacy though. To be honest I don't use it much in cooking and tend to use ordinary for cakes etc,but portions for OH are 50% less and he only eats such stuff when he is going to be working it off afterwards. We all eat much more healthily now with hardly any charcuterie and red meat which are the big no-no and for mashed potatoes, I crush them with a fork so it is not smooth and add loads of olive oil and coloured ground peppercorn for flavour or herbs.

[quote user="suein56"]Some different thoughts about agave

Sue
[/quote]

Thank you Sue, that is most interesting, so really, sirop d'agave is hardly better than golden syrup!! It is not good news for diabetics.

As for Stevia, as far as I know, it is still illegal in the UK, although it has been used in Japan for decades - I did some quite extensive research on it when I first used it, and it seemed quite a breakthrough for diabetics or others on low-carb diets.

http://www.steviasideeffects.org/

• 2 months later...
I've just seen this thread which I've found very interesting and informative. My OH has Type 2 diabetes, and I'm always on the lookout for alternative ways of sweetening desserts or baking. Great news about scones that can be made without sugar or with an artificial sweetener. I will certainly be trying those. Probably won't do very often, as clotted cream and jam rather spoil the good intentions.

[quote user="idun"]

No I haven't yet, but I will.

[/quote]

I'll be waiting [:D]

I had a go at a chocolate cake with very little four and lots of egg whites and it was horrible... I'd love to bake something for my neighbours mum as she's always doing little bits for us.  I've searched  but I really dont know which I should do.  I've heard so many good things about your baking skills so I'll follow your lead

x