baking without sugar

idun

I sometimes make puddings for friends with various types of diabetes. I would rather like to have a go at some sort of cake but find that the aspartram stuff, whatever it is called has no 'volumn' to it and doesn't work, well not as I would wish.

Am I flogging a dead horse, or is there something that makes proper cakes?

Be interested in this - my neighbour can't have sugar or fat. I found a recipe using dried fruit and apple ( can't find it at the moment). The result was rather dense and a bit flat but tasted ok. I googled 'sugarless cakes'

Most were from the US but the British Diabetic Society has a few.

I've heard too about making cakes etc with stewed and pureed apple. Grated carrots would be sweet too, or mashed banana.

You would just have to experiment with proportions, and raising agents.

What about honey?

Thankyou, have I asked this before? I may well have.

In fact I may well have had a go at a couple of recipes; for I do mark them if they are not up to standard, but not always why I have tried them in the first place.I now remember some stewed apple going into something that was not what I was after. However, being imaginative, I have now had an idea and will have a go at something new and post later IF it works. So thankyou again.

Now wouldn't it be good if I could make a lovely cake that was sugar free.

I had to laugh yesterday as a friend of ours was saying that he doesn't like puddings and wouldn't eat one. Conversation went on and I said that I always made apple pie or fruit pie when we had diabetic friends round, as I can use alternatives to sweeten the fruit. His face, a true Homer Simpson moment of 'apple pie'. Then the list started of all the things he loved to eat in the past and can no longer. Some of which I can bricole now to make something really good. But I would love to bake a cake.

[:)] I looked at the diabetic UK web site and lots of the recipes have sugar in them. OK for type 1, but being my age, I seem to know more people with type 2 these days.  I wasn't really impressed.

I shall experiment. I know that I can make pies and bread and butter pudding and some chocolaty custardy things too. Now onto a decent cake.

[quote user="idun"]

I'd wondered about that, as my recipe already has very little sugar in it. I absolutely love scones, when they are good bien sur[;-)].

[/quote]

The main thing to remember with Canderel is to use equivalent volume not weight. So if you need 3 tablespoons of sugar, replace with 3 tablespoons of canderel (which weighs about 10 times less than sugar)

For sweetness by volume - yes. Although I do find Canderel a bit less sweet than sugar so sometimes add a bit extra.

You could also try Splenda or Stevia instead of Canderel - they may be more to your taste. Just check the packets for replacement measures.

Thankyou. I really do not like any of the sweetners myself. I never ever have 'diet' anything they taste so chemically to me.

However, treats is good and I'll have a go, for those we know who cannot eat sugar to have as near as possible what everone else can have.

Our doctor only advises to use Hermesitas powder if you must have sugar in cooking. OH is diabetic and aspartume is a no-no to our medic, as is fructose powder, Stevia powder is horrible and canderel not advised either. I have a stevia plant in the garden and often chew a leaf or two, but its not something I could get hooked on. For cakes I use mashed banana or apple puree with no sugar and it works well. Honey as a sweetner is not advised either, too much sugar

I also knew about agave, but didn't know it was available in europe.

I saw a documentary about an indian tribe in the SW of America and their health problems including diabetes since they had started eating a western diet. All the traditional products were tested including agave from the cactus. With a traditional diet there was no, or little diabetes within this tribe.

I'll have a look for some, thanks Chancer, good idea.

Sirop d'agave is very very nice, it tastes a bit like maple syrup (to me anyway). And with its low GI, it makes it a winner and a treat. I get it from my local bio co-op.

But what do I know? I also like stevia, which doesn't taste at all chemical. Or maybe it is because I know it comes from a plant, so I have a built-in prejudice, thinking it is completely natural - I use it to sweeten yogourt or fromage frais, or porridge. Intermarché sell it in jars, it seems expensive but since you only need to use a little at a time - and at least it doesn't have the bad press of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="NuBeginnings"]Agave now where ever did you learn about that?[/quote]

Where I learnt many, many things about health, diet and fitness.

Credit where it is due Nubeginnings [:D]

[/quote]

But where?

Yes, I keep a bottle at home and like it very much. I add it to things for a touch of sweetness such as fat free yogurts, hot tea, etc. It only takes a small amount which is nice. I have not tried baking with it as I not sure how it would do as a replacement for sugar.