Steak equivalent

rowland

One will learn that the vector transform of english cross-sectional tree cutting techniques to a bovine environment do not equate with any simple geometric algorithm to french longitudinal cutting tendencies. I would suggest that you make an A4 copy of the pdf file pertinent to the diagram below to your local butcher before departure so that he/she can provide cartesian coordinates to facilitate location of the piece of meat you are dilligently seeking.

[IMG]http://www.office-elevage.fr/publications/decoupes/afboeuf-02.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.office-elevage.fr/publications/decoupes/pldecbo2.pdf

[quote user="pachapapa"]

One will learn that the vector transform of english cross-sectional tree cutting techniques to a bovine environment do not equate with any simple geometric algorithm to french longitudinal cutting tendencies.

[/quote]

Blimey PPP, is that a Google translation?

Or the french don't cut the meat like what we do?

Would this cut be a cote de boeuf? No idea really. Meat is certainly a bit 'different' in France that is one thing I do know and I am still having some problems working out what is what in England.[Www]

• 2 months later...

Even if you find the same cut of meat it wont have been hung in the same manner, or even at all, unless you like your steak bleu then best not to seek a comparable one in France, settle for a faux filet for instance and you wont be able to say that it was worse.

The only steak or beef that I eat now in France is chevaline, incomparable!

I must admit, the meat we buy from our local butcher (and also from the younger butcher that comes to our Sunday market from 81) is particularly delicious and tender as we tend to eat it mostly fried. I actually took a piece of hamp steak back to our family butcher a couple of years ago. No word of a lie, 5 butchers took turns to prod and look at the piece of meat without being able to identify where, on the animal, it came from.........I am unfortunately no further forward and only buy "skirt of beef" (bavette) which is delicious even eaten raw with salt and pepper...........Actually, what is the French name for "Ribeye" as I have never heard the word "milieu de train de cotes" being ordered at the butcher ???????  

I recently came across an ad from British Corner Shop which seemed to indicate that they would send British beef etc to France. I placed an order and I must say that all the beef, gammon, bacon etc were superb. Whilst the beef is in fact French it had been hung to mature and develop flavour and butchered in the UK way. It is browner than a classic Trench beef roast, They do fillets, rump topside etc.|I have not tasted gammon like it since the 60's. The bacon,traditionally dry cured and not pumped with water or brine. It arrived vacuum packed with ice packs in the box.