Pasteurised milk

Clarkkent

[quote user="idun"]

I have never heard that it increases calcium, at all, unless they add it. ![:-))]

[/quote]

No they don't add any calcium as such, they take away fat and fat does not contain the calcium.

So suppose you started with 1l gold top 11% full fat Guernsey.

Take away 10% fat.  You now have 900ml 1% low fat milk, with the same total calcium that you started with.  But you will not buy 900ml, you will buy 1 litre.  So add 100ml of low fat milk to make up to 1l and by so doing add extra calcium - and some of the other goodies.  Indeed in this case the calcium would go up by 11%.

Extremes used in this example to make the sums easy for my fuddled brain - in reality normal milk will have half the fat or less and the increase in calcium is therefore less around 4-5%

[:D]...What a pleasure it is for us to walk up to our nearest farm every 3 days to fill our small 2 litre churn with fresh milk (they start miliking at 18h30). Boil it that same evening and it's in the fridge by 22h00 ready to be enjoyed for breakfast....as for the cream that rises to the surface..........[;-)]

[quote user="Loirette"]Out if interest ericd, how much a litre are you paying?[/quote]

I give him 1 € for a full 1.5litre milk churngot my 2 litre (sorry I got my 2 litre wrong). He keeps telling me it's far too much but I can't give him €0.80 can I ????? He sells his milk to Yoplait and other similar dairy companies who come to collect every 2 days.

• 3 weeks later...
We stopped buying cows milk a few years back and I now use oat milk. Tasts great in tea, on porrige and museli and makes a fantastic choky drink with just coco powder. Really creamy and no sugar needed.

As a matter of interest one of our bio supermarkets sells horses milk!! Not tried that yet?

We always get raw milk cheeses when we can. A much better taste than past-yer-eyes stuff!