Pasteurised milk

Clarkkent

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

If a list of the greatest French men and woman were compiled, Louis Pasteur's name would probably be near the top.

Why, then, don't the French buy his milk?

[/quote]

Because UPERISATION is cheaper and more efficient.

For example Lidl and Leader Price who cater for the "hoi polloi" masses only stock UPERISED milk.

80% of milk marketed in France is UPERISED.

[quote user="Bernice"]All milk in France is pasteurised before sale except when it is described as lait cru ....  cheese made with unpasteurised milk is described as such on the packaging.

Bernice
[/quote]

Not true! I suggest you indulge in a review of POST 19th Century treatment methods.[:)]

My problem always was that there was no milkman coming round and sometimes the shops were shut and the local farmers didn't sell it directly.

Also we used to get through three litres a day, so I'd just go once a month and buy 96 litres of long life milk and stock it at home. In a country village in mid winter in the Alpes, it was good to have basics in.

I still buy long life milk, but we use pasturised too.

In France 95.5% of milk sales are long life, in Britain 8.4%.

In both countries I buy pasteurised milk and can store it for an indefinite period in the freezer. When opened, and kept in the fridge, pasteurised milk stays usable for rather longer than UHT. I don't particularly dislike the taste of UHT but much prefer pasteurised.

Because UHT is easier to handle and store than pasteurised, I wonder whether its predominance is a producer-led phenomenon.

just to noyer le poisson, unless you still get milk from Ernie and his milk-float pretty much all the pasteurised milk sold in the UK is also homogenised, I used to make the machines but was not too happy to be known as working in the homo section of our factory!

Straight pasteurised milk has a seperate cream layer, you can gradually see and taste it deteriorating and even beginning to curdle over a few days, you get none of these visual and olfactic clues with homogenised, we tend to drink it for far longer than we would pasteurised and then phaff! its as if it became 3 weeks old overnight.

I prefer the taste of UHT now, well at least the french stuff from the hard discounters, the stuff in the UK is not the same and to me is not so milky, as if any of us that were not born on a farm would even know what proper milk should taste like!

I don't think it is producer led CK.  Our supermarket has ample supplies of both fresh and UHT and when I look in (other)folks trolleys it is the UHT that is usually there.

As Idun has suggested, many will buy for a week or a fortnight (not sure about a month) and many people just do not have freezer space for 2 weeks worth of milk - which incidentally is what we do, but our milk consumption is really very low.   

[quote user="Clarkkent"]When opened, and kept in the fridge, pasteurised milk stays usable for rather longer than UHT. [/quote]

I've noticed this too. I think it might be because pasturised milk is not actually a sterile environment and invading bacteria have to compete with those already in situ, whereas UHT is a nice, clean, growing medium for any bacteria that happen along.

We've got a badged supplier of lait cru near us, so we tend to buy that. It's cheaper than the "fresh" stuff in the supermarket and we all prefer the taste, though the filtered stuff is a fair second choice.

I remember the check out girl in the supermarket asking me if I was buying milk for a year when we had parents in law coming out for the month as I had approx 130L of milk in one big trolley. Helas, it just about lasted the month.

edit,

I always buy full milk though. I used to wonder why anyone  would  buy other than full milk with growing children, demi ecreme does not have all the good things of full milk. AND every kid that came to the house and had a glass of milk would always say it was better than at home.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

When the relative fat content between the 3 types of milk is considered ; it all seems pointless compared with the absolute content of a cheese.

But seems to be an important aspect of aliquot parts studies for GPs.

[/quote]

Yes, I agree, still it makes one heck of a difference to the taste.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

In France 95.5% of milk sales are long life...??? [/quote]

My source was Elliott, Valerie (2007-10-15). "The UHT route to long-life planet". London: Times Online.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article2658175.ece.

I accept that it is about four years old, but I doubt that milk consumption patterns change quickly.

[quote user="idun"]

edit,

I always buy full milk though. I used to wonder why anyone  would  buy other than full milk with growing children, demi ecreme does not have all the good things of full milk. AND every kid that came to the house and had a glass of milk would always say it was better than at home.

[/quote]

Actually removal of the fat increases the levels of many of the good things in milk - calcium for one.

[quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="pachapapa"]

In France 95.5% of milk sales are long life...??? [/quote]

My source was Elliott, Valerie (2007-10-15). "The UHT route to long-life planet". London: Times Online.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article2658175.ece.

I accept that it is about four years old, but I doubt that milk consumption patterns change quickly.

[/quote]

Denmark surprises me.

Local E Leclerc has a fresh, cooled, non pasteurised milk dispenser outside main entrance €1/litre, very popular and it moos as it delivers the milk.

I have never heard that it increases calcium, at all, unless they add it. I remember hearing a few things on Radio 4 about this and it simply made sense to give my kids and me full milk.

I am not a great one for all the fads and things. The don't eat this and don't eat that. One day it is bad for you, the next it is good. Heck they'll be saying having sex is bad and how stupid would that be eh![:-))]

I always think you can spot the English in the supermarket - they are the ones with fresh milk in the trolley!

Like you, Idun, I buy fresh full fat, but keep a couple of packets of UHT in for emergencies.  Fresh tastes  better in tea, UHT is ok in coffee.... but semi- or no fat milk has no taste at all.

We used to stay on a farm when were young, so I must have had fresh farm milk then, but it is so long ago I would not know now how it tastes - and we do not have cows in farms down here to get it from . .....

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

Shortly after purchasing our first property in France, I discovered that to obtain fresh milk one had to do what others in the village did - go to the farm with suitable container, and buy it straight from the cow so to speak!

[/quote]

Smart move, mortgages are a liability.[I]

[quote user="Judith"]I always think you can spot the English in the supermarket - they are the ones with fresh milk in the trolley!

Like you, Idun, I buy fresh full fat, but keep a couple of packets of UHT in for emergencies.  Fresh tastes  better in tea, UHT is ok in coffee.... but semi- or no fat milk has no taste at all.

We used to stay on a farm when were young, so I must have had fresh farm milk then, but it is so long ago I would not know now how it tastes - and we do not have cows in farms down here to get it from . .....

[/quote]

Agree with you Judith, except that since I have been in France I no longer take milk in tea...