Pressure-cooking - suggestions ?

Loiseau

I have lugged an old pressure cooker over to France with me this time as I never use it at home, and I have often had meat dishes chez French friends that have been tasty and quickly cooked in one.

Does anyone have tips for the most successful dishes to try?   In the past I have attempted stews, but really do feel that these taste better using conventional cooking for at least three hours to develope the full flavour.  What about boned roasts of pork or veal?

Angela

Agree about stews/casseroles. Not good.

The only thing I use one for is to cook Christmas puddings - the initial cooking. On Christmas day I microwave hot.  The pressure cooker was a Wedding present 40 years ago and apart from a new gasket is fine.

Mind you I don't like "Slow cookers" either - the problem with flavour seems to be the same as with a pressure cooker.

Mrs H

My pressure cooker after 30 odd years of hard work, was past it's best, helped along by me doing something very stupid with it. I regretfully don't have one any more.

What are you doing that stews and casseroles aren't good? I would leave braising steak in for an hour and say a half and it would be delicious, I would then add the veg and cook a further ten minutes and I would have wonderful stews.

My bourgignons, whilst the wine and stock was heating in the pressure cooker without the lid on,  I would flour the meat and in a separate pan fry it in garlic and oil flambee with brandy and put on kitchen roll until the wine etc was hot then put it in the pressure cooker. Add thyme and cook it for a good hour, then I'd add the bacon and mushrooms etcand cook without pressuring for a further half and hour. Always delicious and full of flavour and prefer this this way to any other way.

I also like to do xmas puds in them,but they are good for so much more, at least chez moi it is.

And I don't like slow cookers either.

But what about doing those rolled roasting joints in one, folks?  That's what my French friends seem to do very successfully, incorporating the vegs too;  a sort of one-pot roast supper, with plenty of juices in the cooker too.  Any hints on timings etc for that?

Angela

Truthfully I never liked the ones that my french friends did, always too much fat on the meat for me and I found it most unappetising having to drag the fat off to get to the meat and as some would eat this fat, felt it made me look like a fuss-pot.

Still maybe the fat gave the flavour to the veg. IF I were to do it, I reckon that I would cook the joint for at least an hour and then put the veg in for the last 20-30 mins max and any cabbage in the last ten minutes, but that is just me!!