Chinese Restaurants

connolls

Hi,

I know this doesn't really come under "french food and wine".

I'm looking to take some freinds out for dinner and they want to eat chinese.

I know there are two on the outskirts of Limoges (by the old Mr Briocolarge) and the other one opposite the Troc.

Has anyone tried these of an evening time and if so can you give me your thoughts (and names of them???)

I have heard there is also a very good one by the "McDonalds" the opposite side of Castorama ???

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards Mel.

Is this one of those Buffet affairs? I went to one locally for the first time a few months back and had to say, although not bad for the price, the food wasn't what I would call chinese, more like several takes on one idea (everything from prawns to chicken coated in batter and deep fried etc). Still, more for your money than local crêperies which are now priced out of many local familes' reach which is a shame.

I am afraid when abroad you have to rethink your concepts of Asian food compared to the UK.

In Germany for example a hot spicy curry of any ilk at an Indian Restaurant is likely to tickle the tastebuds rather than cauterise them - unless you ask specifically and the waiter/chef understands the request.

In Holland a "chinese" or "Indochinese" restaurant is almost certainly going to be heavily based on Indonesian cuisine.

Likewise in France Chinese is more likely to be steered towards Vietnamese, Laosian, Cambodian than what we recognise as Chinese - which in any case is a million miles away from what is acually served in restaurants in China.

What I found confusing too was some of the items and in fact I had several pieces of white marshmallowy stuff on my place before my boy pointed out it was pudding, a form of egg custard solid with coconut flavouring.Well I ate it but no taste really. I don't think we will go again as I can cook chinese at home. As for curries etc,never really cared much for them not ever really wanting to go in an Indian restaurant when we lived in the UK.

I don't eat Eastern cooking (Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, etc) when I am in the West and I never go to "Western" type restaurants when I am in the East.

When the menu says, "Sweet and Sour Chicken" in the West or "Chicken Chop" in the East, then I know I'd rather go hungry.

No, I was too quick off the block, I WILL eat in a Chinese restaurant in the Chinese areas of London.

Oh, Val, how you have jogged my memory.  How about the cinema in Leicester Square?  Hardly a week would pass by when my friends and I wouldn't take the train from the "provinces" to go up to the cinema in Leicester Square and we wouldn't care how long the queue was to get in!

After a absolutely horrific experience, involving the preparation on one of the special courses, in a restaurant in Ghongzhou on a business trip. There is no way I would never, ever go into a Chinese restaurant in China outside of the tourist areas. I still have nightmares about what I saw. I actually walked out and refused allow my company to deal with that customer, purely for personal reasons. Very unprofessional.

I get on fine with most of the industrial estate Chinese banquet type places.

[quote user="breizh"]

After a absolutely horrific experience, involving the preparation on one of the special courses, in a restaurant in Ghongzhou on a business trip. There is no way I would never, ever go into a Chinese restaurant in China outside of the tourist areas. I still have nightmares about what I saw. I actually walked out and refused allow my company to deal with that customer, purely for personal reasons. Very unprofessional.

I get on fine with most of the industrial estate Chinese banquet type places.

[/quote]

Mmm it's weird that the thread above this one is entitled " Missing Cat"  [6]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I don't eat Eastern cooking (Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, etc) when I am in the West and I never go to "Western" type restaurants when I am in the East.

When the menu says, "Sweet and Sour Chicken" in the West or "Chicken Chop" in the East, then I know I'd rather go hungry.

No, I was too quick off the block, I WILL eat in a Chinese restaurant in the Chinese areas of London.

[/quote]

Hi sweet17,

apart from the obvious contradiction in your post,

"food snob" ,springs to mind !