crêpes

mint

Bonjour, Frenchie!  Comment va tu?

Tefal, yes will definitely look,  But I am in a state of the most terrible anxiety en ce moment, preparing for le pelèrinage!

Everything else will have to wait till my return!

But, Frenchie, I have missed you (tu me mangues) and it's nice you are posting again![:D]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, made some fab crêpes, IMHO, of course!

Used my Meyer Circulon frying pan, bigger than my le Creseut omelette pan.  Made 10 and they looked as French as any that I have ever made.

Nice, bubbly brown on both sides, thin and yummy (miam, miam).

I remember Fanny Craddock (remember her?) years ago saying that crêpes should be thin enough for you to read your lover's letters through them.

Well, as I do not have a lover, I didn't have any of his letters to read....but, they were good enough for me!

Don't know as I'd serve them to the women in my Rando Club but, hell, I don't mind risking them on my Brit friends!

Hell, what'll they know, they're only Brits?[:P]

Sweet, sorry for hijacking the crêpes thread [:)] , just to answer you, I ve missed you too.!

Had a very busy summer, lots of family at my place, and visits, etc ,  + too much time spent in water !

I have English friends over for dinner this week, I wonder if I'm not going to prepare crêpes for dessert .. [:)]

Oh, for dessert, I cook them in advance , because it takes time, then I wrap them in aluminium foil, and heat them up in the oven ( low heat) let's say 10 mn before serving.

Put them on the table on a plate, and put different littlle jars :  one with Nutella, one with sugar, one with jam, etc.. so that each guest gets the filling he/she prefers. Really easy peasy..... 

Personally I serve them with cider, the one my uncle does in Britanny.

Honest, do you think British people may like that or could it be considered a weird dessert??

5-E I think that even the most dyed-in-the-wool home bakers might be quite surprised at just how good some of the bought products are, if you are chosey.  I then heat the butter (never oil) on the griddle of my raclette maker at the table and heat them to temperature then add the fillings anybody wants.  Maple syrup is good, but apple and calvados always goes down well too (with Brits as well as the locals, Frenchie).

It's just that, there are so many things that are daunting to make: meringue, things with gelatine, cheesecake, and much, much more - whereas pancakes/crepes is something that I have been used to making since childhood - they seem so easy, no trouble at all, hardly any preparation, etc...so it wouldn't occur to me to buy them ready-made. - but you make it sound a rather attractive proposition. Especially in this heat (well, around here at the moment), I can't imagine doing much else than re-heating anything at all!

When I was a child, we used to eat them with apricot jam, or just with sugar. Or icing sugar and lemon juice.

I quite like the savoury ones too, with fillings like:

vache-qui-rit + ham

mushrooms or spinach in bechamel sauce, etc.

If used for dessert, as Frenchie does, of course there is always Crepes Suzette, which are in a special league altogether (you got to have Grand Marnier or Cointreau for starters!)

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Personally I serve them with cider, the one my uncle does in Britanny.

Honest, do you think British people may like that or could it be considered a weird dessert??

[/quote]

I had a recipe book once (gave it away [:(]) which I got with my Champion points, and each recipe had a suggestion for which wine etc to serve with it .

Do french people really do this? (ie serve a different wine with each course.)

And Frenchie, I would be very happy with that as a dessert.

Yes, there are wines for different courses, but not for each course.. I know, it is complicated.

For instance, crêpes and cider is a classic, as is Alsacian white wine or beer with choucroute, red wine with meat, etc..

If you get confused, look at the label on the bottle, there is often someting mentioned about what it is best served with.. ( je ne sais pas si cette phrase sonne bien anglais mais  bon, je suis préssée   LOL)

Edited: I ve found the following site which seems useful , you type the name of a recipe ( French one) , it gives you a list of wines that go well with it .  http://www.vignobletiquette.com/autvin/mets_vins.htm

All depends where you go for your crepes. Some restaurants merely open a packet and heat them up, slam bang €8.00. Other places make their own crepe and that makes all the difference. Three years ago 10 of us went skiing around La Clusaz/Grand Bornand and stayed Half Board in British owned based that had fantastic feedback for the quality of their food. One night they served us crepes Bretonne and ice cream for desert, those crepes came straight from the packet with the lines of fold still clearly showing (and the unmistakable taste of shop bought crepes). They had not even attempted to warm them up. There was uproar that night in the place from our corner end…..Other guests (all Brits I must say) munched on them like cows eat grass in a field.

[quote user="ericd"]…..Other guests (all Brits I must say) munched on them like cows eat grass in a field.[/quote]

What a funny picture your description has conjured up![:D]

And thank you for my new name, Frenchie...........better in French don't you think:  la reine des crêpes?

[quote user="sweet 17"]And thank you for my new name, Frenchie...........better in French don't you think:  la reine des crêpes?[/quote]

You are the pancake queen, young and sweet, only seventeen

Pancake queen, feel the heat from the pancake heap

You can flip, you can try, having the time of your life

See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the pancake queen

You’re a teaser, you flip’em all

Leave them burning and then they’re gone

Looking out for another, any pan will do

You’re in the mood for a toss

And when you get the chance...

You are the pancake queen, young and sweet, only seventeen

Pancake queen, feel the heat from the pancake heap

You can flip, you can try, having the time of your life