crêpes

mint

Clair and Frenchie, I have laughed till I cried!  That's absolutely brilliant.

Yes, Frenchie, that is definitely moi:  OK, the knockers may not be so...you know, pert, but the rest of it is very true to life!

The toque (spelling?) is perfect.  Shame I can't just wear that on the Compostelle!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Clair"][quote user="5-element"]Talking of spreading, Sweet, I must have missed or forgotten some of the crepe discussion (I am no expert by the way). But I do make crepes and/or pancakes with 3 different implements - each of them produces some very different results. One of those 3 is, I am told,  a proper crepe pan, all flat, heavy cast iron, and it seems to be the one that heats the whole crepe evenly, and they end up quite thin too.

Could it be that your burnt edges and undercooked under-middles are caused by a slightly unsuitable pan?

[/quote]

I have one of those too (in fact, I have two): http://www.lecreuset.fr/Les-Gammes/Fonte/Poeles-Sauteuses-Crepieres/Crepiere--Rateau-27cm/

No tossing with these heavy babies!

Recipes: http://www.lecreuset.fr/Recettes/Crepieres/

[/quote]

for those interested in a crêpe pan, there's a special offer on one here and another here, until 26th Sept. They're not heavy cast-iron ones though...

I have bought from them a couple of times before. Satisfied customer. No financial gain... Blahblahblah...

• 1 year later...
Im so excited --  We bought a crepiere yesterday ( electric)  - I hunted out my flour - all bread flour from UK  - so bought cheap and cheerful t55 farine menagere .   So will that be pertfect for Crepes ??????????????????????????

Thanks for that Frenchie -   Well we have given it a go - my OH thought they should be thicker and I thought they should be thinner !!!!!    so we will  just have to give them another go tomorrow !!!

So is there  a crepes season in France ????    In the UK its on Shrove Tuesday .

Well, Cluzo, I'm no expert.....despite appearances to the contrary!

According to the great (or perhaps not so great) Fanny Craddock, you should be able to read your lover's letters through them (that is, as thin as you could manage to make them).  Don't know how you'd test them if you had no lover, but that's another topic altogether!

Unfortunately, since I have been on this low-carb diet, I have not made crepes for a while.

Anyway, how do you find the machine?  Easy to use and clean?

Also, you can't possibly wait till Shrove Tuesday to eat crepes.  I suggest you start making them everyday to make the purchase of the machine worthwhile!

[quote user="Cluzo"]Im so excited -- - I hunted out my flour - all bread flour from UK  - so bought cheap and cheerful t55 farine menagere .   So will that be pertfect for Crepes ??????????????????????????
[/quote]

French people also go shopping in the UK for their flour........[;-)]

Not me Eric ! [:)]

Cluzo, I said it was the season, because when days are getting colder, people feel like having crêpes !

Mardi gras and la Chandeleur are the " official days " for crêpes , though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandeleur

In English the Chandeleur is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentation_of_Jesus_at_the_Temple

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="Frenchie"]Not me Eric ! [:)][/quote]

I hope not !!! I was just being funny about the fact that people feel obliged to buy their flour in the UK....whatever next......

[/quote]Since I still live in the UK I buy most of my flour there for convenience. Although we do buy some rye flour in Sweden. Please explain why this is amusing?

I find this amusing for the exact reason that I have described.... What else do you bring from the UK....or better still, what do you buy when you are in France? Question. Do you like the meat you find at your local French butcher  or do you prefer what you get in Swindon??

[quote user="ericd"]

I find this amusing for the exact reason that I have described.... What else do you bring from the UK....or better still, what do you buy when you are in France? Question. Do you like the meat you find at your local French butcher  or do you prefer what you get in Swindon??

[/quote]Never bought any meat in Swindon. Why should I make a journey of over an hour when we have a good butcher locally.

As I have a breadmaker in France as well as the UK - so that is why I bring my bread flour back and forwards over with me from the UK  as I know it is the correct stuff and it works and it means i dont leave stale stuff in the wrong place ( well not a lot anyway)

Im tempted to buy some sarasin flour to make a Galette  before i return as \i dont expect I will be able to get it in the UK .

We are having a crepes party tomorrow afternoon to impress our neighbours - so keep your fingers crossed for me .

[quote user="Cluzo"]  Im tempted to buy some sarasin flour to make a Galette  before i return as \i dont expect I will be able to get it in the UK .

We are having a crepes party tomorrow afternoon to impress our neighbours - so keep your fingers crossed for me .
[/quote]

Well good luck. Look also for packets of flour marked "Ble noir" that's the other name for Sarasin flour. Hope it's a success.