why do I feel hungry at bed time

idun

And I usually fancy something salé rather than sucré.

I shall show some self control and not have a couple of slices jambon cru with a knob of butter on them, but why should I be hungry now. I had a good meal this evening.

So you dieters, do you go to bed hungry or if not, what do you have for 'supper'?

I'm not a dieter, but I am diabetic, and so sometimes have to have a little nibble before bed if my blood sugar is a bit low. I'd normally have a small glass of milk and perhaps half a digestive biscuit.

You say you had a good evening meal, but what time was that?  If you ate at around 8pm, and you are hungry at 1am, that's 5 hours.  That's the time between breakfast and lunch. Your blood sugars usually revert to pre-meal levels around 2 hours after eating, unless you eat slower burning wholemeal carbs, or have eaten a lot of fat, or drunk lots of alcohol (and I know that last one wouldn't apply to you idun).

I'd say it would be pretty normal to be a bit peckish at 1am.

Well Bugsy, I have an open fire, I have a sheepskin rug, but I'm not really a drinker. And  these days, I am rather fond of my comforts and I doubt our son would appreciate such a scene as he is watching Judge Judy.

I get peckish around 10 after eating at 6 or 7 and wish I didn't. A normal snack holds little appeal, I always fancy something gourmande and salty.

I nearly choked when I read that and I acknowledge it is a good idea.

However, I dare not. I'd be up half the night peeing. I drink a lot early evening and then small amounts throughout the evening. I hate getting up to pee during the night. I won't say I never do, but it is rare.

I was going to suggest, like Cat, that a drink of milk might work.

Up till a couple of weeks ago, I drank very little milk because of my asthma and milk is supposed to produce a lot of phlegm.  I have been avoiding dairy products (including cheese) for years and years.  Well, not avoid completely, but only took very small amounts.

Since I have been on my "fat-busting" lifestyle (and indeed it's working a treat), I seldom eat a meal in the evening now.  I have a mug of hot milk thinned with some water and pershaps some walnuts or my absolute favourite cashews or a hard-boiled egg.

If I had tea or even herbal tea (yuck!), then I am up to go to the loo in the night.  But, since the milk routine, I don't need to get up and I sleep much better.

Strangely enough, I don't think it's made any difference to the asthma.  It's still unpredictable and I could go for days ticking along like anyone else and then have a few days of being asthmatic.

But, I never feel hungry in the evenings nowadays.  Sometimes, I might permit myself a couple of plain biscuits like petit buerre but, like you, I prefer salty things in the evenings. 

I always have a small glass of hot milk at bed time and I am fine with that, but I really feel like raiding the fridge from around 10 o'clock each night. I used to love the petit beurre bics, lovely. My favourite biscuits at the moment are Rington's ginger biscuits, absolutley delicious.

Is it hunger? or a need to replenish salt flushed out by drinking fluids. If you are drinking a lot during the day/eve, and get peckish for salty things at night, and you have to get up in the night to pee then it might be an idea to get your blood sugars tested just in case.

Blood sugar is fine, but thyroid is not. Seeing a consultant in January about it. Truth is that I probably don't drink as much as I should, don't think about drinking and have to make myself remember. I have always been the same, it is not a new thing.