Foie de Genisse

idun

I have a good butcher in England, but sells no foie de genisse, and it is something I miss. I friend who lives in Harrogate can buy it but their butcher is a long way from here.

My butcher does a decent foie de porc, but it isn't as good. I really don't like ox liver, or foie de agneau or even foie de veau, which I find fade and uninteresting and terribly overpriced.

Had to look up genisse, TU - heifer in english. I've never had that here.

I love chicken livers, and we always take them out carefully from the chickens that we kill to eat, collect a few and make chopped liver paté with onions hardboiled eggs and chicken fat.

Our friend in Harrogate buys it as young beast liver. He was a chef so I took it it was the appropriate name.  For me it is certainly the best of the livers. Fortunately the pigs liver my butcher sells is quite nice, but I hanker after the genisse.

I hate kidneys, but love liver.  

I always thought it was the same as calves's liver, Pat.

Mmm, it IS delicious.  If I see it on a restaurant menu, I just have to choose it, but I have never cooked it myself.  It's always quite expensive in restaurants.

My mother used to cook lamb's liver for us, which I also enjoy, but it's not in the same league as calve's.

I don't like kidneys either, idun.

Angela

[quote user="idun"]I only throw up when I have tripe.[:D][/quote][:D]I never eat tripe, but I read a lot of it (none of it on here though, natch.....) 

My FiL loved the stuff and many's the time we'd arrive at his place to be confronted by the stink as he'd been cooking it.  Another [+o(]!  For a committed carnivore, I'm not very good at innards, I'm afraid.  Whilst I've been on a bit of a restricted diet at times in recent weeks (when I don't feel too good there are some things I just can't stomach at the mo'), Mr C has been taking advantage and has been in offal heaven, especially since we bought half a sheep from our neighbour!

[quote user="idun"]

Rob Roy it isn't foie de veau which is calves liver. It is young beasts liver, so the animal is that bit older.

[/quote]

I think the term 'calf' is open to interpretation in this context; a weaner calf is about 6 months old when weaned and slaughtered for veal, but a young animal up to a year old can still be termed a calf in the U.K. so foie de genisse in France can be calf's liver in the U.K.

That sounds like milk fed veal, as opposed to veal calves left in the field with their mothers so they suckle and eat grass (like we have here in the Limousin!)

The calf's liver I buy in my local SuperU is certainly not pale pink, but is tender and delicious. For years I hated liver but now know it was because my mother overcooked it (although she was a good cook) and I used to do the same.

(I also love kidney!)

Sometimes I would buy foie de veau from my local butcher in France as my husband liked it and it was a lot paler than the the genisse. I have no idea of the age of the beast at all. And I agree liver needs cooking until it is just cooked and then it is tender and creamy.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="idun"] I have a good butcher in England, but sells no foie de genisse, and it is something I miss. [/quote]

Just a quick word to say thank you Idun.

Before your post I had not heard of foie de génisse. So, knowing how much my OH loves liver but not the mild sort, when I saw it for sale in our local butcher's window yesterday I went in and bought some. OH was so delighted and kept saying all through the meal just how delicious the liver was and how it was such a discovery. I said to him it was all due to you ... and that I would let you know just how happy you have made him.

So, thank you on behalf of a happy husband.

Sue [:)]