Sassafrassarassum

idun

Id, I say the exact same thing about this excuse of an oven that I have in my new house.

Can't understand it at all; takes forever to cook something and dries everything out before it's cooked.

And, like yours, I could have things that look cooked and brown etc on the outside but the innards are all runny and uncooked.

I am deffo going to replace it but I want to wait till we have sold our other house so that I can have lots of lolly to have a re-designed kitchen at the same time.

Going to have a kitchen with everything just the way I need it and, because it's a titchy place not much bigger than a large cupboard, it's going to have some pretty nifty gadgets and storage spaces within it.

Id, you have my every sympathy.  It's not at all acceptable to have a dodgy oven, if only because it's something you use all the time.

I've had lots of ovens in my time, what with all our various house moves, etc but I can honestly say that this is the worst oven I have ever had.

[quote user="idun"]My problem is that it is a new cooker, a Canon that I chose and wasn't cheap and I haven't got lots of lolly to buy anything else now, and did I say, I HATE MY GAS COOKER? just in case I hadn't mentioned it![:-))][/quote]

If it's pretty new, can you complain to the shop where you bought it?

Canon is usually considered to be a good make, you shouldn't have to put up with this unsatisfactory oven. Maybe it's faulty, make a fuss. I would. (Well my OH would anyway!)

[quote user="idun"]My problem is that it is a new cooker, a Canon that I chose [:-))][/quote]

That's it cannons just fire things [;-)]

Sorry nothing on the telly tonight [:)]

Have you checked the temperature with a thermometer, some of the thermostats can be way off making it very difficult to cook with. Worth checking as if it's under guarantee they can change the thermostat.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="sweet 17"]

I could have things that look cooked and brown etc on the outside but the innards are all runny and uncooked.

[/quote]

Isn't that how the French like it?

[/quote]

No, Teapot, I don't think that even the French would eat uncooked cakes [:P]

My electric oven is vile.  Its a Miele so I expected better.  The temperature markers have come off the front so everything is guesswork and the results are pretty hopeless.  The interior light died within a year and it's impossible to remove and change I'd rip it out and give it to the first person passing if they'd take it. Is there such a thing as a perfect oven? Must admit I don't like gas.

Gemonimo, and that would drive me crazy too. I had a de deitrich when I first moved to France and it gave over 20 years good and loyal service. I replaced it with an Ariston, where all the instructions rubbed off and 'I' was told my fault for washing it and I never used Conforama again. We still have the Ariston in husband's kitchen and is still better than this cooker.

I have quite a few friends in England who love their gas cookers and thought why not, be adventurous. I bought a baking stone to stop my soggy bottoms and my bottoms are still not as I want, although they are better than they were. Simply my cooking is not coming up to my usual standards.

Sassafrassarassum was mutley used to say and I'd end up with xxxxx's on this board, if I had said what I felt like saying.[Www]

Maybe a calorific problem.

In france cooking is largely with Butane, less often Propane.

In england natural gas is largely Methane.

Propane has the highest calorific value.

Butane is intermediate.

Methane is the lowest.

But english methane is special with sunshine shining out its fundamental orifice.[:-))]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Propane has the highest calorific value. Burns hotter regulated by thermostat

Butane is intermediate. Burns hotter regulated by thermostat

Methane is the lowest. Burns cooler so it takes a little longer to reach the same temperature but will be regulated by the thermostat

But english methane is special with sunshine shining out its fundamental orifice.[:-))] By comparison US gas also mainly methane is usually Bull sh*t

[/quote]

A cooking thermometer might help with some of your problems. I used one in my cooker in France after it didn't seem to be cooking quite right and found the temp didn't match up, so then adjusted what I set it on. My new cooker in UK is exactly right, which I found tricky at first, as I'd been used to having to set the temp higher than recipes suggested for years. Both are Bosch electric ovens.

I grew up using a gas cooker and was very wary about electric ones, but our first home, a rented flat, had one and it was OK. The next was in a rented country cottage with a bit of an erratic electricity supply and it used to short out when I switched the oven on. I then had to climb up in the corner to reset a switch in the dark! (Torches always seeemed to slip out of my hands and break!). Because of that one I decided that the cooker in the first house we owned was definitely going to be gas, but when I went to buy one (at the gas board as it was then) I thought they were very cheap, tinny-feeling things, so bought an electric cooker - much more solid. (This was a long time ago, so things might well have changed).

OH fitted it, and every time I touched it I got a shock from it, which OH thought was just me (I get shocks off cars, supermarket trolleys etc), but on checking he found that the wiring was rather odd and it wasn't earthed - there was a loose end of wire! [:'(] after he rewired the house all went well, and that cooker lasted for years until 2 house moves later when the new house had a fitted kitchen, so I left it for the house's new owner. By now I was a convert to electric cookers, so after that cooker did 30 years service it was a new electric one last summer.

My SIL has also had problems with gas cookers over recent years; she's never used anything else, but sent 2 back as unsatisfactory over the last 3 years.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]My electric oven is vile.  Its a Miele so I expected better.  The temperature markers have come off the front so everything is guesswork and the results are pretty hopeless.  The interior light died within a year and it's impossible to remove and change I'd rip it out and give it to the first person passing if they'd take it. Is there such a thing as a perfect oven? Must admit I don't like gas.[/quote]

Thanks for the warming, Gem.  I always thought (brainwashed I guess) that Miele appliances were very good thus justifying their hight price.

My best oven was a Bosch.

The Godins I had were excellent but I kept a chart of the equivalent temperatures as the heat did not correspond to any recipe or even to other "normal" ovens.  In the end, it was just easier consulting a chart because otherwise I'd be calculating the equivalent temperatures all the time.

My present one will definitely be going so I'm glad we are talking ovens here as I shall be ultra careful what oven the next one is going to be.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="pachapapa"]

Propane has the highest calorific value. Burns hotter regulated by thermostat

Butane is intermediate. Burns hotter regulated by thermostat

Methane is the lowest. Burns cooler so it takes a little longer to reach the same temperature but will be regulated by the thermostat

But english methane is special with sunshine shining out its fundamental orifice.[:-))] By comparison US gas also mainly methane is usually Bull sh*t

[/quote][/quote]

Now I know where I went wrong....the thermostat regulation is missing on my 3 ring butane 1 ring electric on my Brandt hob with electronic allumage...the only way i can control the temperature is by turning the taps and this controls the height of the little blue flames coming out the little holes. Can I retrofit a thermostatic regulator and how much would it cost?

Interesting.

My friends who extol the merits of gas cookers are not bakers. They do good roasts and yorkshire puds and so does mine to be honest. But my merangues, well what merangues, too much humidity in the gas cooker and they come out like marshmallow and not crispy. My pies had soggy bottoms, not quite cured with the baking stone and almost burnt tops, so if I turn it down, well pastry likes heat, not a cooler oven.

When I got to France I was warned that french cookers were terrible and in fact in our rented place, it certainly was, just like your current one S17. And I invested, cost 4000ff which was a fortune on a de dietrich and it was great. I made my merangues, pastries of all types including choux, brandy snaps, biscuits and wonderful wonderful cakes and breads and pizzas......... no I am not a slim lady, but we eat well[Www]

My ariston was not as good and IMO dangerous without the dials now.

I suppose I need another equivilent to my de dietrich cooker and that should see me out really.  

As I don't cook too many roasts an oven that bakes well is my priority. My Miele disappointed me so much that I perhaps never used it to its full potential. For example, the fan was never used. My gripe was not how well it cooked, more how badly it was put together. The glass door lost its insulation very quickly and it was impossible to unscrew the glass to clean or tighten it.  In fact, € for € if I had bought a basic Whirlpool model from Ikea I would have been a lot more satisfied. So avoid Miele like the plague, Sweets.

Clearly  I don't clean mine enough, Gem (no surprise there!)  Got it 2nd hand 7 years ago and still has all its markings etc.  I don't bake but it hasn't let me down or undercooked anything.  Sometimes it goes over the top a bit as I don't make enough allowances for the fan.

Best cooker we had was an upright thing with a spit and an eye level grill.  Carnivore heaven. Can't get a decent grill these days - they all seem to be enclosed and make the ovens stink. Gas hobs I don't mind but I cannot cope with gas ovens, never could since a truly cr*ppy one in a flat we shared before we were married.  My o/h is quite a good cooker though.[:)]