d'eau-de-vie

scotty

In the Vendée (and probably other places) it's the basis of a fortified wine type of drink or a liqueur type.

A rough recipe is about six litres of red wine from the local cave (that's if you haven't got your own) to which you add a litre of eau de vie. Depending on your taste you can add virtually any type of  fruit or even things like birch twigs: whatever you like. If you add sugar you will obviuosly get a sweeter liqueur type drink.

Make it in October, stirring every now and again, and filter and bottle for Christmas.

I don't like the sweet version but the fortified wine type should make you shake your head slightly from side to side once  [6] and then you're into it. It's a bit like a Spanish carajillo where the barman has been a bit heavy with the brandy (or rum).

You'll probably never get the same taste two years running.  [:D]

A neighbour asked me to take some stuff to the dump from their garage. Amongst the junk was an unlabelled 20 litre plastic bidon filled with what smelled like toilet cleaner. I asked what it was and they told me it was Poire and I could have it if I want. I think it tastes like it smells, but some friends likes it so I gave it to them.

I advertised some kittens for good homes last year and one lady that took one gave me a bottle of poire eau-de-vie as a present in return. As it had only just been distilled she suggested I keep it for a while, but jokily said it made good perfume at the time - it certainly had a strong aroma of pear! We have friends coming round for dinner this week , it must be about time to try it with the after dinner coffee.[:)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]I wouldn't give the designated driver more than a thimbleful at most [:)][/quote]

Definately not for the faint-hearted. I've tried both Calvados and Poire William, and can only liken it to paint stripper.[+o(]

On a positive note, both are useful in cooking, especially with pork in a creme fraiche sauce.

My OH calls the pure eau de vie "petrol", but our neighbour makes it using quince - eau de coing. It's the sweet version, you don't realise how potent it is until you hit fresh air. Many's the time I've fallen off my bike into the ditch on the way home from their apero invitations.

[quote user="sweet 17"]I wouldn't give the designated driver more than a thimbleful at most [:)][/quote]

These are genuine eau de vie glasses, shown, for scale, with a normal wine glass.

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/P1000827.jpg[/IMG]

I take it the eau-de-vie glass is the one on the right![:)]

Seriously though, we have had a bottle given to us every year from a friend, it is fine with the cheese at the end of the meal. But a neighbour invited a load of us in for 'aperos'. We were warned he like his friends to drink and he makes a green plum eau-de-vie. We all had to eat on of the fruits and then drink the juice. The aperos started around 5.30pm and by 8.30pm, when we left, most of us were 'squiffy'. In fact two neighbours still can't recall getting home - and we all walked down!

• 1 month later...