Tartiflette

Frecossais

I brought a couple of Reblochon cheeses back to England with me after having tasted tartiflette for the first time, and last night I made it for my book club meeting. It was just as good as I remembered, and the dish was scraped clean. It is a very filling meal, and so tasty. We had Elizabeth David's chocolate mousse with fresh strawberries to follow. Mmmm.

We chop and change tartiflette recipes all the time. Currently the favourite is small whole pieces of potato in a creamy buttery cheesy sauce with Morbier cheese sliced over topand melted in the oven.  I often do it with sliced potatoes, sliced apples and carrots in layers and lardons and cheese. Its one of those comfort food recipes everyone adapts to their own liking.

I don't tend to be very creative in the kitchen, but I really wish I was. The trouble with my tartiflette is the amount of cream that went into it, very unhealthy and not to be on the menu too often. Sliced apples and carrots, mmmm. Think I could try that.

Talking about lardons, they're very fatty. In England I buy what's called cooking bacon, basically leftovers and cut them up myself. That way I can control the amount of fat.

Frecossais, have it as a treat. Like we have Gratin Dauphinois as a treat.

You could low fat it........... beurk, is all I can say to low fatting stuff. Also when you have treats they are something to look forward to and as you have done, to be shared with friends and family.

I used to love tartiflette when we spent time in the Alps - it was on  restaurant menus in our village, and we often ate it where we stayed on every visit. Delicious! I've never tried making it myself, but have occasionally ordered it in restaurants away from mountain regions. Not a good idea, I've found - apart from one restaurant near us in the Gard, where it was spot-on. Sadly that restaurant is now closed, but tartiflette appeared on the menu once a week, and was perfect, and very popular with locals. I tried it in another local restaurant just the once, not at all tasty and very very fatty - not the right sort of fatty! 

Frecossais, with a menu like that (apart from strawberries, which I'm allergic to), it sounds the sort of book club I'd love!  [:D]

[quote user="Val_2"]We chop and change tartiflette recipes all the time. Currently the favourite is small whole pieces of potato in a creamy buttery cheesy sauce with Morbier cheese sliced over topand melted in the oven.  I often do it with sliced potatoes, sliced apples and carrots in layers and lardons and cheese. Its one of those comfort food recipes everyone adapts to their own liking.[/quote]

I sometimes use chunks of boudin noir instead of lardons - tastes great!

Bernice

I often slice endive - across the round, not lengthways - and mix that in with the sliced potato. The slight bitterness cuts through the richness of the cream and cheese beautifully. And don't forget the glass of white wine - I usually use a Riesling - as you put it into the oven to cook.

In France, Lidl has a cheese for Tartiflette - slightly different taste and texture compared to Reblochon - but not as expensive.

[quote user="idun"]Riesling? In the Savoie, it's more likely to be a nice little Apremont. [/quote]Of course it is. Elsewhere a nice little Apremont may not be as easy to find. [quote user="idun"]Isn't the Riesling  heavy?[/quote]For my taste no. An Alsacienne riesling works well and simply adds a touch of astringency along with the mild flavour.

Riesling, I used to really enjoy it years ago, and it is years and years since I have had any. I cannot remember it being 'astringent'. And now you have tweeked my curiosity, I'll have to buy a bottle.[:P]

I really thought that the savoyards were malin enough to have their wine on sale partout.

[quote user="gardengirl "]

I used to love tartiflette when we spent time in the Alps - it was on  restaurant menus in our village, and we often ate it where we stayed on every visit. Delicious! I've never tried making it myself, but have occasionally ordered it in restaurants away from mountain regions. Not a good idea, I've found - apart from one restaurant near us in the Gard, where it was spot-on. Sadly that restaurant is now closed, but tartiflette appeared on the menu once a week, and was perfect, and very popular with locals. I tried it in another local restaurant just the once, not at all tasty and very very fatty - not the right sort of fatty! 

Frecossais, with a menu like that (apart from strawberries, which I'm allergic to), it sounds the sort of book club I'd love!  [:D]

[/quote]

Yes, our book club meetings are a monthly treat. The only problem is that the books get a ten minute mention (unless they're very very good) as we enjoy a good natter over the meal. It certainly keeps our culinary skills alive.

• 2 months later...
i couldn't get the recipe link to work, but here's my recipe which always gets rave reviews and is as easy as can be:

TARTIFLETTE

(Serves 4 easily)

1 kilo potatoes

3 small or 2 big tubs smoked bacon lardons (or pancetta)

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)

2 medium-sized tubs crème fraîche

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 small Reblochon cheese

Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F (Gas Mark 4).

Peel potatoes and chop into dice-sized pieces. Parboil for 10 minutes then drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, start to sauté the bacon gently and, when the fat has run a bit, add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté gently but don’t allow to brown.

Mix together the potatoes, bacon and onion, and the crème fraîche and season (careful with the salt because of the bacon).

Pour the mixture into a shallowish, largish baking dish and level it out a bit.

Scrape a little of the orange rind off the two flat sides of the Reblochon, then slice it horizontally into four rounds. Lay the slices over the top of the potato mixture.

Bake for about 40 minutes until it’s all golden and crusty and bubbly. Serve with green salad.