What would "condensed milk" be please!

Hereford

I bought (in France) a tin of what I imagined was "condensed milk" to make a no-cook cake (with biscuit crumbs and chocolate etc).  OH in garden when I made it and so did not see the contents of the tin.  The "cake" is now in the fridge but does not seem to be setting. My tin contained runny stuff that OH now thinks is more likely to be the French equivalent of evaporated milk.  Oh dear.

Anyone know what condensed milk is in France please!!!

Mrs H

[quote user="Loiseau"]Shaking each tin would probably have solved your dilemma!

Angela[/quote]

True!!  But the UK based friend who sent me the recipe says she is sure that the condensed milk she buys does not have sugar in!! Curiouser and curiouser. Friend is going to look at a tin next time she goes shopping, and I will "shake" a tin tomorrow when I go shopping.

[quote user="Loiseau"]Yes, condensed milk is VERY sweet!

It used to be sold in sort of giant toothpaste tubes and also, flavoured, in tiny berlingot packs. When my daughter was small it was her Idea of heaven to have one of those!

Angela[/quote]

I think the reason I was confused is that (apart from in a cake for example) I hate ALL milk, never drink the stuff, and have memories of evaporate milk as a child - yuk!!

Several people I have now spoken to all agree that I need the sucre version - I think my friend in the UK is kidding herself...

Thanks to all

Mrs H

PS I make ice cream with "Alsa" packs (no need to churn and just gorgeous) so I shall add lumps of my soft cake mixture to basic vanilla and freeze.

[quote user="Loiseau"]Yes, condensed milk is VERY sweet! It used to be sold in sort of giant toothpaste tubes and also, flavoured, in tiny berlingot packs. When my daughter was small it was her Idea of heaven to have one of those! Angela[/quote]

I used to buy those tubes to pour some on petit suisse. And the kids loved the little berlingot, including the fruity ones.

I think that you can buy 'light' condensed milk in the UK now, and maybe it is without sugar, but it must have a replacement in it as it wouldn't be that gloopy very sweet stuff.

I use evap in soup, and it is certainly sans sucre. I blend soup or broth and then add evap instead of cream when I put it back in the pan, it's lovely.