Halogen Oven

NormanH

I had some friends over last weekend who suggested that a Halogen Oven might be useful to me since I have a microwave and a slow cooker but no real way of roasting or grilling.

Has anybody any experience with these and any recommendations? I am in France full time so I would need to find something either here or which could be delivered not too expensively.

I bought one from Aldi a while back (discussion).

Its size is deceptive and it cooks a lot of food at once.

On the down side, I cannot cook a whole cake or a loaf of bread evenly (the sides cook long before the centre) and veggies take an absolute age. I have to adjust my cooking method every time I try something new in it.

On the plus side, because the thermostat goes up to 260°C, succulent chicken with crispy skin!

For a single person or a couple without access to an oven, I'd say it's just the thing.

Since the microwave gave up the ghost after only 27 years we have been using the halogen oven. Handy because it heats up quickly, other than that the cooking time is similar. The crackling on some roast pork came out the best I have ever done and the roast potatoes look very good but the steam doesn't escape so meat stays juicy and tender but the potatoes are also soggy as are chips.

Buy one Norman, you wont regret it!

I use them now in both countries and have now removed my traditional ovens as they no longer get any use.

Other advantages are being able to see what is cooking as its lit up like a patient on the operating table, there is no smoke or burning of fat and practically no cooking smells, you can watch like a yoyeur as sausages begin to sweat a colourless liquid which is in fact fat, it doesnt smoke and gathers at the bottom they will gradually brown before your eyes as do other meats, you dont really need to turn stuff over either unless it is very large and blocks the air circulation.

They are very easy to clean as nothing gets burnt on, in fact most of your time is taken in pouring away the fat which you would have eaten or breathed in using another form of cooking, the kitchen paintwork also does not disclour like from a normal oven.

The disadvantages, well they are heavy and bulky and take up a lot of cupboard space if you want to store them out of the way, the elements can blow, one lasted 4 years and I replaced it for a tenner from E-bay, most would buy a new oven at the Aldi price, the other is still going strong. There is a smaller 7 litre version that I bought for the flats as they were incorrectly priced at Makro Direct, £7.99 inc free delivery, they work just as well if not better, they are lighter and easier to store but the reduced diameter makes the cooking rack unstable and it can tip over dropping all the food into the bottom amongst the fat.

My advice go for the big one then you will have space for a medium chicken.

My favorite food from mine which comes out far better than any other mode of cooking are the Lidl maigret de canards.

Finally dont be taken in by the self cleaning claims, it makes for a nice video showing cyclonic wave action but thats it, usually you can wipe out the bowl with kitchen paper after pouring away any excess fat if cooking cochonneries like merguez.

We got one off Ebay..UK..  New...... and its still listed. ..........With  (they say ) £50  worth of  extras  for about £25  and brought it out     We also use one at home in the UK. Great for roast potatoes we always par boil  a bit first. . We would not be without it as the French  bottled gas cooker  gets so hot and seems impossible to hold a set temperature and burns stuff ... Also its on hand to have if we run out of gas and your spare is also empty .....The cook book  that comes with it is not  up to much  but they have nice colour ones with lots of great dishes you can do  on Amazon for pennies . They certainly cook quick and roast chickens very well indeed. 

Frederick, what do you do to your roasts potatoes that makes them great? They look great but the skins are soggy and not great because the moisture can't escape as it does in a conventional oven which allows the skin to crisp same with chips.

They are only faster because a conventional oven takes around 20 minutes to come up to temperature.  A chicken in 45 mins vs conventional oven 45mins + 15-20 mins getting to temperature

Ditto re the speed, they get up to temp in a couple of minutes and thereafter the stat cuts in and out, at 200°c they only heat about 30% of the time so quite economical.

I no longer eat spuds but it will crisp up a microwaved sweet potato. I do recall that they were soggy when I did try them.

I also dont reckon it for veg very much, cauliflower cheese or gratins are fine but putting all the veg around the roast as in the cookbooks does work the results are not as good as boiling or microwaving.

Pizzas werent too sucessfull they had the quiche soggy bottom syndrome.

[quote user="Théière"]

Frederick, what do you do to your roasts potatoes that makes them great? They look great but the skins are soggy and not great because the moisture can't escape as it does in a conventional oven which allows the skin to crisp same with chips.

They are only faster because a conventional oven takes around 20 minutes to come up to temperature.  A chicken in 45 mins vs conventional oven 45mins + 15-20 mins getting to temperature

[/quote]

Peel them  boil for a while  drain then in the halogen oven tossed in olive oil or duck fat and they roast up fine .

I have made an intermediate one for mine which seems to work the best, I also found an ali perforated tray to fit at a rédérie.

Have you tried Naan breads and poppadums yet? Crikey they come out well, I only eat bread once a year but thats my treat!

[quote user="Frederick"]We got one off Ebay..UK..  New...... and its still listed. ..........With  (they say ) £50  worth of  extras  for about £25  and brought it out     We also use one at home in the UK. Great for roast potatoes we always par boil  a bit first. . We would not be without it as the French  bottled gas cooker  gets so hot and seems impossible to hold a set temperature and burns stuff ... Also its on hand to have if we run out of gas and your spare is also empty .....The cook book  that comes with it is not  up to much  but they have nice colour ones with lots of great dishes you can do  on Amazon for pennies . They certainly cook quick and roast chickens very well indeed. 

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip.

I have ordered one from eBay at £39.95.[:)]

Postage was 17.95 though [:(]

I guarantee you Norman that within a month either Lidl or Aldi will have the same oven for €29.99.

Mind you if you hadnt bought yours you can be sure it would have been at least another year before they stocked them again [:'(]

You wont regret it.

Never had a soggy bottom!, do you use the rack rather than the roasting tray, mine came with a lower rack, a higher  rack and an oven tray, also an extender ring for doing a roast. I have used it as a grill with the higher rack and it works well.

The glass bowl is heavy though so don't use it too far from the sink.

• 2 weeks later...
I roasted a roast chicken for dinner in mine yesterday:

1.8kg chicken, placed directly on the low rack, itself situated over the "frying pan" + extension ring; 25mn each side @ 250°C.

All the fat melts and the skin gets really crispy.

Minimal washing-up and minimal energy use, particularly if cooking during off-peak hours.

[quote user="NormanH"]It has arrived!  Will be trying a roast over the weekend...

[/quote]

And ....  Norman.......you will save the planet and keep a few more euros in your pocket'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9611963/Ten-energy-saving-tips-you-havent-heard-before.html