Suggestions for cooking....

mint

I just score the fat and put salt and pepper on both sides. Then put it in a hot frying pan and well brown the fat, then turn and cook the meat side in all the fat that has melted. We like it rare, so I sort of do it like a steak.

I serve with a sauce made with echalottes, orange amer, honey, salt and pepper. A french recipe. It's lovely. And if I cannot get orange amer, I use ordinary orange and put a little apple cider vinegar in, but not much.

[quote user="idun"]

I just score the fat and put salt and pepper on both sides. Then put it in a hot frying pan and well brown the fat, then turn and cook the meat side in all the fat that has melted. We like it rare, so I sort of do it like a steak.

I serve with a sauce made with echalottes, orange amer, honey, salt and pepper. A french recipe. It's lovely. And if I cannot get orange amer, I use ordinary orange and put a little apple cider vinegar in, but not much.

[/quote]

Oh Idun, you make it sound sooooo delicious. Never had it myself.

Well, id, I did just as you said.  BUT you didn't tell me I'd have to pluck all the bits of feathers and quills off first, LOL!

Then I cooked it in a poêle in its own fat.  I had a glass of red wine standing by to de-glaze the pan but, when I saw the size of the slab of meat and the thickness of the fat, I didn't think I could eat it as well as the sauce.

It was delicious!  But I did struggle with the massive piece of meat and I didn't want to leave some to eat cold because I don't think I'd like it cold.  Still, with a little bit of help from the dog (please don't tell me off for giving the dog a teensy-weensy bit!), I just about managed.

Now I feel totally stuffed!  How am I going to take her out for her second walk of the day, nevermind going to the gym?

Can't even ask OH to do the second walk as he'd left me  this morning to spend the weekend in the UK.....[:(]

Yep I cook them a lot in there, a far better and cheaper alternative to steak and they always come out tender, a whole magrét at 350g is too much even for me and I eat tons these days so I have half.

I will be cooking them for une soirée internationale next week, there will be an young german girl, a young spanish girl, a young english girl and myself, I will be easy to pick out as I will be the one with the permanent smile on my face [:D].

3 of them between 4 should be plenty dont you think? the magréts Wooly the magréts[6], has anyone any ideas for a decent marinade that I can make preferably with a French theme?

Hmmmm, well, if three is too many, I am sure Norman would love to help out - women that is!!

But guys, my problem with the margarets which I do enjoy, is all that fat and the use of the frying pan in cooking wat is ultra not recommended for good eating. Think waistline, think arteries. Which is why I would cook them, suitably scored and salted and peppered in the remoska with the little grill thingie installed so you get rid of a good part of the fat without losing the taste. No takers?

Sweets, if you carry on eating like this, we are gonna have to call you Sweetybarrel!!

But Wooly you drain them well after cooking and duck fat is healthy, good cholesterol?

Even if I was going to deglaze the pan, I'd have poured out all the fat first, maybe a teaspoon left in. And I'd use it for roast potatoes later.

Yes, Chancer, I reckon three for 4 will be fine, even if a couple of your guests are gourmande. I cooked magret for 60 once and I bought about 50 of them and there was quite a lot left, which was all taken home by folks and eaten the next day.

[quote user="bettyboop"]I know its winter...... We do ours on the bbq,fat side down,herbes de provence sprinkled on the meat, all the fat drips out. Turned over for the last 3-5 mins. You can always keep warm around the bbq[/quote]

You know, I did think it would cook well on the bbq and, as you say, all the fat would drain away.  However, don't know if it's our bbq equipment (gaz, given to us gratuit) but I always seem to burn everything I cook on it; so much so that I haven't got it out even once this year.

Now I have a good-sized free-range chicken in the fridge and I am just thinking about how I shall cook it tomorrow.  OTOH, after today's knock-out lunch, perhaps I'd better just have poached eggs on toast!

Then, on Sunday, I think I'll take the dog out for lunch as there is a vide grenier in the next village and there is usually food somewhere on these village fêtes[I]

Sweet

We do ours on a charcoal bbq, grill on the highest level and cooked slowly... hubbys domain, sits watching the bbq, beer and pistachios to hand. Im doing all the bits to go with the duck, so scrummy, our favourite.

Hubby cant get on with gaz bbqs at all.

Lidl coal at 2.99 a bag,ready to cook in 10-15 mins

Sweets

One magret does for two of us .. I'm afraid I keep it very simple - put it into the oven on a grill pan and cook as meat - score the fat side ... then turn it over half way ... remove the fat and divide into two .... my biggest problem is timing, as oven is on the blink (see another thread) but 40 mins or so for well cooked (sorry -  OH won't eat anything other than well done - so I have the middle and he gets the ends!!!)

Likewise, when it comes to cuisse de canard, I throw them into the slow cooker, with a bit of added fat if needed, and do 'em long and slow ....

Enjoy!

Can do better than that Thiere,

Cooked potatoes diced, fried in oil to which mustard and herbs have been added - yummy.

Lovely fresh salad.

But as Judith says one between two is ample, but we prefer ours rare, ours are done for about 40 mins but not turned over, the fat is reduced to a thin crispy layer,mmmmmmm

Bonjour, Judith, I'm sorry to hear about your oven (haven't read your thread about it though).  It's a real pain when you have oven trouble.  I should know, I've inherited one of these rubbishy Sauter (something like that) oven and it's horrible.  I cooked quiches and a barm brack (sort of a fruity cake with no fat) last week and the results were far from satisfactory.  In fact, I was so disgusted that I have decided to put the "chateau" on the market soon and have that root-and-branch kitchen makeover, complete with brand new oven, that I have threatened to do for months.

BB, I have never thought to frying potatoes with mustard and herbs and they sound scrumptious so that's to try later this week.

Alas, I can't do one magret for two (unless you count the dog!) because OH doesn't eat meat.  Still, he's away this weekend so it's easy for me to cook all the meat I want!  NOT that he objects to my eating meat, it's just that sometimes it's a lot simpler to eat what he eats in order to avoid cooking two meals....[:(]

We had duck today, and I did a similar sauce to that mentioned by Idun; I use a little mango & passion fruit smoothie, which we always have in the fridge but rarely orange juice, plus a smidgeon of cider vinegar and some cornflour to thicken it.  It's delicious. We also have one magret between the two of us.