Coffee and poncy coffee

idun

Has having a 'latte' taken off in France?

I only ask, as, if ever I take a flask out with me, then I'll fill it with what we always call milky coffee, some very strong coffee in hot milk............. and now it has the poncy name of a 'latte'. French friends would not touch this, they hated the idea of milky coffee and said that it was impossible to digest it properly etc. Although apparently the odd cappuccino, or grand creme somehow wouldn't count.

So I was wondering if it had started to become popular, or not, and the 'not' would not surprise me.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/31/business/starbucks-tailors-its-experience-to-fit-to-european-tastes.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0[/url]

This explains a lot. [:)]

I know "Starbucks" has become a dirty word in the last couple of weeks or so, but I think they're synonymous with "poncy coffee".

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Isn't a latte just an expensive way or buying air as it consists mostly of foam?

BTW, an Italian friend of mine insisted I couldn't order a cappuccino after 10:30 as it's a 'morning drink' [:-))]

[/quote]

No latte isn't just foam. A few weeks ago I was in an italian resto in Newcastle and the man in charge of the bar was making the lattes, he literally shot the strong coffee into the hot milk, and it swirled and mixed completely before my eyes. Never seen it done like that before.

Betty interesting article and unsurprising.

PS, I like Costa and Nero better than Starbucks and Neros mince pies last year were the best 'shop bought' ones I have ever had, followed closely by Costas, whose lemon tarts have been delicious this summer.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Isn't a latte just an expensive way or buying air as it consists mostly of foam?

[/quote]

No. It's hot milk with coffee - I understand that in Italy it is supposed to be a children's drink. In Portugal there is a version called galao which is favoured by English tourists.

They froth it up a bit over here, though. If you want flat hot milk with your coffee, an Espresso with milk or even an Americano seem to be the way forward.

Not that I partake, you understand. I am not a great fan of coffee so a cappucino suits me fine. The less coffee, the better.

I have never been rich, but apparently I am daft enough to pay a couple of quid for a cup of coffee.[:-))]

Strangely quite a few people I personally know who are well off, will not pay a lot for a cup of coffee. They will take a flask, or go somewhere cheap and complain like hell. And yet, they earn fortunes compared to most other people, I reckon £35-£40 a hour is a fortune. Why they take this attitude towards coffee, I have no idea, but they do.

[quote user="nomoss"]I've never been rich or daft enough to pay 2 or 3 pounds for a paper cup of coffee.[/quote]

I don't think you are obliged to have a paper cup. Indeed, if you drink your coffee on the premises, they give you a normal ceramic cup and saucer, just like anywhere else.

I don't think that, in general terms, coffee is any more expensive in any of the major chains in the UK than in a bar in bled/s/oued in France. In fact, if this article is to be believed, then  the price of a coffee in Starbucks or similar is better value than I thought!

[url]http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/france-monde/prix-moyen-du-cafe-en-france-c-est-plus-cher-dans-le-ia0b0n794270[/url]

chain prices vary up and down the UK, but here's a not-too-far-outdated indication of prices in London

[url]http://www.londontoolkit.com/blog/investigates/coffee-shop-chains-in-london/[/url]

I can't stand Costa or Starbucks coffee, it tastes vile. Plus it comes in a huge shallow cup and gets cold very quickly.

Lattes are too milky for me, make me feel ill, so I have an americano with a little hot milk on the side when I'm out. Mostly though, I prefer the coffee I make at home.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

[/quote]

No. It's hot milk with coffee - I understand that in Italy it is supposed to be a children's drink. In Portugal there is a version called galao which is favoured by English tourists.

[/quote]

I remembered you when I made my Sunday morning double espresso poured into a mug of hot milk and thought 'I'm having a latte when last week it was a milky coffee. Ain't I posh?   [:D]