Freezing fresh milk

NormanH

Having drunk semi-skimmed milk for years, I changed back to whole milk a while ago in UK, so that I always have some in when our granddaughter comes round. I've been really surprised how much I enjoy the creamier taste, although I don't remember feeling deprived of it when I changed to semi-skimmed.

This thread has made me think of milk at primary school - tasted foul in summer and froze and popped the silver lids off in winter! hope Norman's bottles don't pop!

[quote user="idun"]

I sometimes buy a 4.4l of milk and let it go off and make cream cheese, takes ages to turn, so what they do with it these days I don't know........... radiation???? they do it with so much food these days.

[/quote]

Not radiation idun. The reason we no longer see cream settling at the top of the bottle, is due to the process of homogenisation in addition to the heat treatment of pasteurisation.

Homogenisation involves forcing the milk through filters at high pressure which has the effect of breaking up the fat globules in the milk. This spreads the fat

evenly throughout the milk and prevents a creamy layer forming at the

top.

The process also helps the the longevity of the milk, and explains why milk "lasts" longer before souring. There is a school of thought towards the homogenisation of milk could possibly be a contributory factor in bowel and heart disease, irrespective of whether the milk is whole, semi-skimmed, skimmed, or 1% fat.

How to get back the milk of old? Find a source of raw milk, i.e.  untreated milk bought direct from registered milk producer such as at the farm gate or farmers market.

Yup, homogenised, I did leave a clue by mentioning it in my posting.

I did my apprenticeship at the company that made them, back then the milk was pumped at extremely high pressure through a small orifice and smashed against a stellite "impact ring", I dont thinks that the process has changed although it probably is filtered as well, the rest of the explanation is spot on.

None of us apprentices looked forward to our time in the "homo section" and nobody wanted to be offered a job there!

I did find a source of unhomogenised pasteurised "real milk" it was a distributeur outside Leclerc operated by a local producer, the milk was just as I remember it being but very expensive.

Long life milk at 59cts a litre in France is a lot cheaper than the same in England but the 2 litres of homo milk for £1 at Lidl is the clear winner, just not on taste, I prefer the UHT stuff from Lidl France.

Actually taking into account the exchange rate the prices are the same but not for the same product.

I have no objection to full milk, I just can't drink it! When my neighbours here in France still had a dairy herd, they would sometimes give me milk almost straight from the cow, advising me to boil it before I used it. I found it far too rich and sweet, unfortunately.

I have drunk semi skimmed milk for years. I now use skimmed, and however little the difference in fat content, it has been a big contributing factor to my having lost about 8 kg over the last five months.

Back in the UK, I always have a standby bottle of milk in the freezer. We have our milk delivered, and for as long as I can remember it comes in the same plastic bottles used by the UK supermarkets.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]We have our milk delivered, and for as long as I can remember it comes in the same plastic bottles used by the UK supermarkets.[/quote]

Quite possibly coming from the same milk processor as well! Same bottle - different label!

In the UK we always drink full-fat milk as we find semi-skimmed so watery and tasteless and skimmed even worse. In France we drink semi-skimmed UHT as it tastes much creamier then UK semi-skimmed and the full-fat UHT is just too creamy.

The fat in milk is also a good source of fat-soluble vitamins and the Vit D is easily assimilated because of the calcium in the milk.