Golden syrup - French equivalent

sueyh

[quote user="sueyh"]do you have any suggestions.[/quote]

Yes.  My cuisine also seems to demand a regular supply of this essentially English ingredient, and in the past people have kindly brought it over.

However, I notice that it is now available  -  the genuine Tate and Lyle  -  at Carrefour (in the 'exotic foods' section).

And am told that it can also be got at Monoprix, but have not had a confirmed sighting…

I have never found anything like Tate and Lyles Golden Syrup. Certainly not the french sucre roux liquide. Even the supermarkets in the UK's own brands are not the same.

Eventually I could get some from either an 'irish shop' there were a couple, at least, in the Alpes, or the main french supermarkets would get it in, as was said in their exotic section from time to time.

nb we occasionally would find irish shops when on holiday in other parts of France.

[quote user="Hereford"]  You can probably replace syrup with runny honey in most cakes.

[/quote]

I agree!

I make a honey cake with

250g honey, 100ml oil, 2 eggs,  mixed.

added to

200gplain flour, 159g sugar, 2 teasp mixed spice, mixed.

Then dissolve 1 teasp of bicarb. or 2 teasp baking powder, in 100ml orange juice , and add to the batter.

Bake in a slow oven for 1.5 hrs. Keep for a week before using.

Honey can be substituted for syrup or sugar when stewing fruit such as rhubarb.

As someone who likes to please with their baking, I  make sweet things with honey in them as so many friends and family seem to like them. But I have yet to taste one sweet thing with honey in the recipe, and I can always taste the honey, and I simply do not like it and do not eat what I have made.

I can sip mead, but would rather not, but the shoeshine they sell in Bretagne is horrible, beurk!

The only thing I use honey in and eat is bar b q sauce, and all the garlic, hoisin and ginger seem to smoother any honey taste, although the honey obviously gives the ribs their stickiness.

For you honey lovers, I'm sure that using honey is a good substitute, due to the consistency being similar.

[quote user="Patf"]Not really, about 1-2€ - almost the same quantity as half a tin of Golden syrup.
[/quote]

Clearly, Pat, it was the 250 G honey that confused me![:-))]

So, without having to weigh the honey (too messy), how many, say, tablespoons would that be?

Sweet, have you not got scales that you can zero, even on my old Salter scales, I could say put the bowl on them and then turn the needle to zero and then add ingredients. I found I needed to measure golden syrup properly when I was making brandy snaps, when I tried using just a spoon measure I kept getting it wrong.

When I wanted to make gingerbread while in France, I couldn't find any golden syrup. Like Idun I'm not a great honey lover, but I did find maple syrup in my local Intermarche, and used that even though it's a lot runnier than what I wanted. The gingerbread worked out well, it wasn't doughy as I thought it might be, and it had a good flavour.

Back in France though, I've brought some golden syrup from England. 

[quote user="dwmcn"]

idun,

Apparently, if you put some cooking oil on your spoon, the golden syrup/honey/etc slides off easily. I say apparently because I've never tried it.

David

[/quote]

[:D] I just heat my spoon on the gas burner before dipping it in the golden syrup and it slides off easily too like that. And being frugal, I heat the tin to get the very last of the golden syrup out too[Www]

[quote user="Pommier"]Our local Super U has an English section and sell golden syrup - it was about €1,80[/quote]

I don't think that it is that cheap in the UK either. And I would have paid that much in France. I never use it that often, and that is far cheaper than it would be having it sent.

[quote user="idun"][quote user="Pommier"]Our local Super U has an English section and sell golden syrup - it was about €1,80[/quote]

I don't think that it is that cheap in the UK either. And I would have paid that much in France. I never use it that often, and that is far cheaper than it would be having it sent.

[/quote]

Maybe they`ve had in in stock for a long time!

Yes there is that. I remember buying some custard powder I found on an odd shelf in a local supermarket a year or so after I got to France. Full of worms. Not that was the only thing I found full of wormy/maggoty things in France, usually it was french dry food stuffs, but I did think it might have been because it was 'old'[:-))]

Got French friends coming over next week.  Not for déjeuner luckily as I am up to my eyeballs in "things".

I think it will have to be teh à l'anglais.....so maybe little sandwiches and perhaps a walnut cake?

They will have had lunch chez eux and it's just that they are coming to see us in our new house for the first time.

What do you think?

PS, these are friends we have known for a few years and they understand our English ways très bizarre!