Christmas dinner

Frecossais

Okay, this is out-and out nosiness, but what will you be cooking for Christmas dinner? Will you be eating French -style or British traditional, (if indeed there is such a thing.)

Here in Blighty we're being bombarded with recipes from every cook and chef known and (to me) unknown. Me? I'm not bothered - We're going to daughter's for Christmas Day.[:D]

Turkey, preceded by fois gras, followed by salad and cheese then Xmas pud or a mystery dessert, for those who are still standing.

But little booze for poor me who has to hit the road very early on Boxing Day to get back to the Vendee to clean and warm the house I checked today, retrieve the doggies and defrost a shoulder of lamb.

At 1pm on 25th I shall be in a local Indian restaurant eating Indian food.

Where we lived before relocating to Lincolnshire we frequented the only Indian that was open for about 5 years. It was always packed with large family groups as well as couples.

Cannot understand why other ones do not open.

We sort of do both, as the big french meal isn't on xmas day really although it does overlap into xmas day. So we have our own revillon with the things we love, foie gras, king prawns, smoked salmon and usually fillet steak and a buche. Then on xmas day we usually have chicken and pork and tradional veg and xmas pud, this year I have a three in one roast from a good butcher for the main meat.

Same same for the St Sylvestre and New Year's day really, only I often do lamb on New Year's day where as the St Sylvestre in my bit of France usually had a gigot d'agneau as the main course.

I actually have no idea what any of my french friends actually do on xmas day as they have been up until about 6am and had their soupe a l'oignon at dawn..and I take it that they go to bed then and when they reemerge I have no idea and have never needed to know. Maybe that is just my bit of France, maybe it is elsewhere, never needed to know that either.[:D]

I have a "Christmas" dinner when ever I feel like it, rather than being a slave to a particular day.

At the same time if I see Capon on the menu in my local restaurant during the festive season I will certainly go for it.

In the UK I used to enjoy the bread sauce,  and brandy butter (not together [:-))])  as you dont get them the rest of the year and here I like the confit d'oignon that is served with fois gras, so I am not hard to please

Starter a home cooked and dressed crab, all of it, just for me.

Salmon fillet covered in blue cheese, wrapped in pastry, oven chips (only time of the year I eat them) carrots.

Cheese.

Hot Christmas pud, flaming brandy, loads of crème fraîche.

Spread out over several hours.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Turkey, preceded by fois gras, followed by salad and cheese then Xmas pud or a mystery dessert, for those who are still standing. But little booze for poor me who has to hit the road very early on Boxing Day to get back to the Vendee to clean and warm the house I checked today, retrieve the doggies and defrost a shoulder of lamb.[/quote]

Wools, I entreat you to be very careful.  Unless she is paying you in cash or in kind, you could be the victim of slavery!

Apparently, there is a lot of slavery about.........you could be shackled to your bed, gagged, whipped and subjected to all sorts of abuse[:-))]

There is a recent case in London....

Definately prawn cocktail even if it does smack of the 70s as we love it.

No idea what the main will be yet.

The usual cheese board.

For pudd there will definately be a Nigella's spruced up vanilla cake. I wanted to make it last year having seen her Christmas TV programme but guess lots of others felt the same way as the shops had sold out of the pans. Managed to get one from Amazon last April! Was a bit apprehensive of whether it would come out of the tin complete or whether it might be turned into a bread and butter pudding, however I tried it out last week and it just plopped onto the plate in tact - result!

There will also be Nigella's Nutella Hazelnut Cheesecake - absolutely delicious, easy to make and it can be frozen so I'll make that in advance.

and...I have just discovered Laiterie Les Secrets Fraise & Chantilly sorbet ice cream - ahhhh lovely lovely - can you tell I have a very sweet tooth?

oh and not forgetting plenty of booze!

Happy Christmas everyone....................

Xmas day we are being fed by daughter... Boxing day its open house with us for we think will be 12 to 14 ...plus dogs !  There is a gammon to cook that will go onto a buffet style laid  table .  Two are working one on a ward one in a bar and some driving  up from Bath .They can all come and go whatever time  they please and eat or go hungry as they see fit ..

[quote user="NormanH"]

In the UK I used to enjoy the bread sauce,  and brandy butter (not together [:-))])  [/quote]

That made me laugh whilst recalling an amusing tale someone told on the radio last week. Grandparents were being discussed, and in particular their habits and foibles. Someone called in and told the tale of how, as a teenager, he was responsible for clearing the table at Sunday dinner after the meat course, and, one Sunday, forgot the remove the gravy boat. The family always had rice pudding for dessert, always with cream to pour on it. This person recounted how, as he'd forgotten to take away the gravy boat, his grandfather accidentally poured gravy on his rice pudding, and, when grandma pointed out what he'd done, he replied "But I LIKE gravy on my rice pudding!". Apparently, from then on until his death, he always poured gravy on his rice pudding rather than ever admit he'd made a mistake!

Betty,

What a lovely memory.

As a youngster I remember going for a hotel meal around Christmas time with a family group. I too love bread sauce and when the condiments came round I saw this whitish sauce. I liberally put it on my meal and was really looking forward to the gastronomic delight.

Unfortunately it was horseradish!!

I still am reminded of it now!!