Greek yoghurt

Frecossais

When we're in France we shop at Aldi or Lidl, both of which sell their Greek-style yoghurt with fruit in. We have just bought an electric Greek yoghurt maker and I tried it for the first time last night.It's lovely and light and creamy, and I'm dead pleased with it if you'll excuse the expression, (sometimes "very" is too tame.)

I did have a look at recipes for making Greek -style yoghurt a while back, but it looked like a faff. You have to make normal yoghurt first and then drain out the whey. Okay, you still have to do the same with the machine, but everything comes with it, two bowls and a strainer. So you mix your milk and a bought plain yoghurt, pour in the main bowl, put a lid on and leave overnight in the fridge. I forgot to say that it's best to use UHT milk, because otherwise you have to boil your fresh milk to a high temperature, then cool it down to body temp, (another faff in my opinion.)

In the morning you pour the now yoghurt into the second bowl in which is the strainer. Put a lid on and leave for 1-3 hours depending on the strength of yoghurt you want. I left it for two hours.

Now I'm living in my head creating flavours I can add to tempt OH who's not a great lover of the stuff. I was recently given ginger-flavoured yoghurt with tiny figs as a dessert - mmmm!

Can't wait to have friends over when we come to France next week.

I have the same machine but managed to lose the sieve so cannot make faiselle now [:(]

It does get a lot of use though as I get through 3kg of fromage blanc per week, I buy one (€1.29) and then use a little of that to make a further 2 litres in the machine, the UT milk costs €59cts so it pays its way and what I like is the reduced packaging, I avoid throwing away 2 tubs per week.

Fromage blanc too? I must have a go at that. Do you use a recipe from the manufacturer or your own, Chancer?

I've made a mistake though, you don't put the machine in the fridge for 8 hours or whatever. You turn the machine on and leave it, after all, it needs warmth. (Silly me!) It's when the whey is being sieved that you put the container in the fridge. Hope I havven't confused too much.

I baulked at paying the extra for the strainer. I just use a bog-standard yogurt maker and strain the whey off through a muslin. If you're lucky (or unlucky, depending on your point of view) and it all goes wrong due to wrong milk, culture or whatever, you can end up - as I have - with a large quantity of rather nice ricotta.

Thanks Clair, sounds as if it's all been said. I'm a latecomer, it seems.

Betty, the muslin thing always reminds me of when my mum used to make a jelly type of jam. It sat above a bucket and dripped all day.

I second Clair, less fuss with the machine.

[quote user="Fittersmate"]3kg per week! Are you using it as an all over body moisturiser and, if you are, does it work?[/quote]

Its actually 3kg every 6 days [blink]

OP asked for the recipe, there isn't one, just a couple of spoons of the shop bought stuff and a litre of UHT full milk.

Hi Mogs,

Mine is a Lakeland Greek style Yoghurt Maker. I looked up their site afterwards, (don't know if I said: OH bought it for me) and read the comments posted there about it, all positive. There are some recipes too, it's all packed up now in its box ready to go to France, and I can't remember what else you can make with it.