Rice for rice pudding

Judith

OK, now I've never made rice pudding in my life, but I've now got a recipe for one for my slow cooker and since OH does like rice pudding and the little tubs are so yukky, I thought I'd have a go ... but I don't know what rice to buy.  I can find the stuff for savoury dishes, basamti, etc, but I know it has to be the sort of rice that softens and coagulates, whereas most savoury rice does not do this ...

Any thoughts, you cooks out there?

Thanks.

I never had any trouble buying riz rond in France for my rice pudding, it is as the name suggests, round. I also used evaporated milk as well as full milk in mine, also easily available in France.

I made a rice pudding in my terrible canon gas oven last weekend, fortunately I caught it before the awful thing burned it.

Sorry I have never used a recipe. I probably put a couple of good tablespoons of rice in a casserole dish and slightly less sugar than rice and then add a tin of evap and at least a litre of full milk and top with knobs of butter and nutmeg. I cover in foil and then make a little hole in the top of the foil to stop it boiling over. I do put the casserole onto a tray, just in case, as I would hate boiled over milk all over my oven. Then I put it in with a long roast joint and it takes a few hours. If it gets too thick I stir in more milk. It was the only thing that I ever made in my now defunct slow cooker that turned out, so I know it works in a slow cooker.

This is actually the getting to be the time of year when I make most rice puddings, as we love cold rice pudding with fresh strawberries and topped with fresh cream. Maybe not to eveyone's taste, but we love it.

[quote user="idun"]
Sorry I have never used a recipe. I probably put a couple of good tablespoons of rice in a casserole dish and slightly less sugar than rice and then add a tin of evap and at least a litre of full milk and top with knobs of butter and nutmeg. I cover in foil and then make a little hole in the top of the foil to stop it boiling over. I do put the casserole onto a tray, just in case, as I would hate boiled over milk all over my oven. Then I put it in with a long roast joint and it takes a few hours. If it gets too thick I stir in more milk.

This is actually the getting to be the time of year when I make most rice puddings, as we love cold rice pudding with fresh strawberries and topped with fresh cream. Maybe not to eveyone's taste, but we love it.
[/quote]

That's two recipes to add to my collection...thanks for that Idun [Www]  I agree with the Nutmeg by the way. My dad always used to have an upside down Jam Tart in his.

Got to be nutmeg, also on an egg custard and yorkshire curd tart.

My friend's daughter's husband is a very good chef and when he worked in London, he said that he found it surprising that nutmeg was used in sweet things, but it worked.

HSD, please remember that I said that I did not use a recipe, liquid amounts may vary, such is cooking 'au pif'[;-)]

Thanks everyone - how nice to see  how a thread develops!  Nutmeg - well of course it goes with sweet things - typical chef reaction that one!

OK, round rice to start and then use what I think is right ... I always buy full fat milk, (can't stand semi- or no- fat milk) so using condensed milk may not be necessary as most  things  thicken in the slow cooker.  Unlike Idun I swear by my slow cooker, (though now I have my nice new oven  I'm not quite so dependent on it), and I experiment greatly with the slow cooker so rice pudding will make a nice change from cake .. and I may even eat is as one of my pet hates (and that is too soft a word)  is cold rice ...

Not condensed milk, evaporated, one former is very sweet, where as when I make a velouté soup I put evap in my soup instead of fresh cream.

Nutmeg, well my mother didn't like it, and if 'she' didn't like something we didn't have it. I remember the first time I tasted it and was hooked, I was about five years old.

My slow cooker was a disaster, I did try with it and simply thought that things tasted odd that were cooked in it, apart from rice pudding. I used it later for keeping things warm at the table and then the lid broke......... I didn't even drop it deliberately either, and it was duly chucked out and I was glad!

[quote user="Judith"]

.. and I may even eat is as one of my pet hates (and that is too soft a word)  is cold rice ...

[/quote]

Cold rice pudding is yummy; in fact, I don't think I'll eat it hot again unless it's in someone else's house.  I developed a taste for it when I was walking the Compostelle and I have ordered it whenever  I have seen it on a resto menu.

I have also had cold porridge in a dessert.  Can't now remember what was in it altogether.  It was in an upmarket B & B in Cornwall and there were added whiskey and Cornish cream in the mixture.  The owner was only using up the porridge left over from breakfast but she transformed it into a gourmet treat.

Having said that about hot rice pudding, I think I have to retract because I do love the skin with the speckled nutmeg and you don't get that skin in cold rice pudding, do you?

Final word, evaporated milk as suggested by idun, helps to form a very good skin[:D]