alternative for ouble cream

Bourdon

I want to make a white chocolate ganache to cover a cake. As it's practically impossible to buy fresh cream here in France ( unless anyone knows different ) I am looking for an alternative. Can anyone suggest another cream that will have the same results or does anyone have another suggestion for a similar covering?

Have you tried a 40% fat crème crue? - assuming you don't mind using raw dairy products. For recipes where I want less of the 'tang' of crème fraîche and a more rounded taste like double cream, crème crue usually works well.

However, double cream is usually 48% fat (whipping cream is about 37% fat) so crème crue still doesn't have the 'body' that you want but it may be better than the 30%-35% crème fraîches. I've never seen a cream with higher fat content than 40% but the stuff you can buy on market stalls straight out of the bucket might be. Ask. [:)]

This

[IMG]https://www.elle-et-vire.com/fr/cache/400x400/uploads/recip/product/9/c211a-2.png[/IMG]

and this

[IMG]http://www.vahine.fr/uploads/produit/28a0da74bbf996b77ce2bdf525e1cf19ad91e5f6.jpg[/IMG]

=[:D]

As Idun says keep things as cold as possible ie put bowl and implements for whisking in the fridge as that really helps the cream stay thick.

We can buy really thick dollopy cream from the market sometimes and from the farm at other times and it does taste really good. But it is not always convenient to have to go out to buy it and they might not have any available.

Sue

[quote user="CSV"]I use this https://www.elle-et-vire.com/fr/produits/cremes/uht/cremes-fluides-uht/creme-entiere-de-normandie [/quote]

You use that product to make a successful ganache which will cover a cake properly without degrading / separating?

[quote user="suein56"]As Idun says keep things as cold as possible ie

put bowl and implements for whisking in the fridge as that really helps

the cream stay thick.[/quote]

Obviously, we haven't seen the recipe

but I don't think you would usually whisk cream to make a ganache. It's

the fat content that matters. 

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="CSV"]I use this https://www.elle-et-vire.com/fr/produits/cremes/uht/cremes-fluides-uht/creme-entiere-de-normandie [/quote]

You use that product to make a successful ganache which will cover a cake properly without degrading / separating?

[/quote]

No, never made one of those, but I use it to make a 'chocolate pot' which is essentially a chocolate / cream mouse which probably would spread like your ganache.

Chancer you are putting too much in then. If there is one thing that every french person used to say to me, was the my creme chantilly was not écœurante.

Add a little icing sugar with the cream (if you want) as you are beating it and  as you keep beating, then a tiny bit of creme fixe at a time and like with all good mixes, (I know you do building works) keep your eye on it and keep adding a bit at a time until it is thickening and then it thickens.

(I don't use the spoon end of a teaspoon, but the handle, preferably a thin one, to get a little bit of creme fixe at a time)

A sachet goes a long way and it doesn't taste like cardboard. I used to make up a lot of cream sometimes as I would be taking cakes and pastries to 'do's' and with maybe one of those big boxes, I wouldn't even use a full sachet.

The other thing is that before I moved to France, and I used to cook and bake a lot even then, all I ever used was a fork. I was young and fit when I got to France, but had to give in and buy an electric whisk, I never could manage to whip up cream in France without one. Maybe some posters have more energy than me, but I gave in. As my OH said, he could use a screw driver etc all the time, but using electric drills was good.

ps over beaten cream can turn into butter, just for those that didn't know.