Filo Pastry

betty

Can anyone please recommend a filo pastry that is sold in square or rectangular sheets?

My local Carrefour only sells their own brand which is round cut sheet and not that great.

A search showed a similar question in 2004 without any outcome; hopefully this pastry is more available now.

Thanks.

I don not think that you will find square or rectangular sheets anywhere in France, they sell them as round to con you, it looks like you are getting 27% more than you really are.

its quite easy to trim it and piece and roll together the bits to make a square or does that cause a problem with filo pastry?

“I don not think that you will find square or rectangular sheets anywhere in France, they sell them as round to con you, it looks like you are getting 27% more than you really are.

its quite easy to trim it and piece and roll together the bits to make a square or does that cause a problem with filo pastry?”

Thanks Chancer, I suppose it’s my only way. If it will cause a problem with filo? One way to find out.

[quote user="Théière"]Watch the homophobic posts please [:)]

[/quote]

Me, I'm not homophobic but I hear that there is an organisation who are sending "rainbow laces" to footballers to wear.

Any idea how I can get some of these laces sent to me?  I have at least 2 pairs of walking boots that need new laces!

I think that filo pastry has turkish origins from the Ottoman empire, the pastry chefs,were always men. I suspect it is the forerunner of puff pastry.

It is very very thin sheets of pastry and you put them on your work surface and then lightly brush melted butter over them and then put another feuille on top of that and brush that with melted butter etc until you have as many feuilles as you want for your dish. Then put a filling in and wrap it and bake it in an oven, or if you seal the pastries, you can deep fry them.

Brick is supposed to be better than filo, but that is down to personal likes really. I personally prefer puff pastry, but I always prefer the most fattening option[Www]

ps that all may be a load of nonsense about the ottoman empire, but it is still made in Turkey as I saw aprogram on tv which showed the male pastry chefs making it.

[quote user="nectarine"]I have never used the brick sheets .... do you put butter between them like filo or just layer them on top of each other?[/quote]

Me neither, but they do sound easy to use.

Here it says ... Plus épaisses et solides que les feuilles de filo ...

and from this recipe : http://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.com/recette/317214-croustillants-legumes-et-fromages it says just put one layer onto another : Etalez vos feuilles de bricks (mettez-en deux l'une sur l'autre pour chaque personne).

Sue

[quote user="NormanH"]You can even put a fish fillet inside to make a sort of fish supper à la française..

A croustillant de poisson

[/quote]

For anything like that, I use pastry that I make, using idun's mascarpone recipe.

In fact, last year, I'd always make double quantities of pastry and freeze any excess uncooked pastry.

This year, however, 2 lots of frozen pastry have had a nasty greyish tinge when thawed out and I threw them out although they smelt and tasted absolutely fine.  I dare say that, if I'd cooked the pastry, they would have turned out golden and delicious, as usual.

Any thoughts on this, id, stp?

I have used feuille de brick and I did butter the layers and if memory serves used three or four, maybe that was why I prefer filo, on the odd occasion that I feel I need to use filo.

Re the mascapone pastry. Well that gave me a flash back. It was not so long ago that my now rather frail father, not only cooked every day, but baked pastry quite often. Not this recipe, just shortcrust, but it was always grey. Light as a feather and manys a cook I know can't make pastry that is a patch on his......... but it was grey[:)]

I probably wouldn't have used it either, if the colour was off.

If I make up extra pastry I use it. Usually making spare cherry pies and then freeze them. Love to have a spare cherry pie or two in the freezer.