Poached eggs

idun

I love an egg poached, in a pan, not the microwave, not in one of those awful individual poacher things that my mother used and nearly put me off them for life, but a pan of simmering water. IMO not doing it the old fashioned way, never tastes the same.

My only problem is cleaning the pan afterwards. I have tried all types of pans but all and I mean all are very difficult to clean.

Anyone any astuces for cleaning said pan. please?

Ah! But have you tried shirred eggs. Yum.

Sorry typing this so cant go back and check. But do you; put a drop of vinegar in the water, swirl it gently and slip in the egg fronm a warm spoon, and continue to gently swirl.

I dont have a cleaning problem doing poached eggs that way. Granny taught me.

JFB

I do poached eggs occasionally Idun, and know what you mean about the pan.

I use a washing-up brush, not one of the abrasive pads, and it does the trick saves my hands too.

I f you use very fresh eggs they don't spread so much.

No

No vinegar. It taints the eggs. Use salt instead. Then you don't need to salt them at the table. As suggested keep swirling - and make sure the eggs are really fresh. The older the egg, the more the white will form a trail in the water rather than surrounding the yolk.

Never tried salt in the water.

Will give it a try next time I do it.

Two ways I love poached eggs, one is put in a well in mashed potato (not puree) when we have steak, not often, but really enjoy them like that.

And the other is on toast, like my toast well browned  thickly buttered and then some lovely crunchy sea salt on it. Life's little pleasures, for me at least.

LOL good job we are all different, as that is how I feel about scrambled egg........ waste of an egg as far as I am concerned. Tastless and a lousy texture.  And yet, I know lots of people who love them and they are more than welcome to them[:-))]

I love eggs, however they are cooked, though I might stop at totally raw.

Boiled hard and soft, scrambled, poached, fried, en cocotte, in an omelette.  My favourite omelettes are plain, cheese, with onions, with leeks, with onions and mushrooms, with fresh red chillies and red onions, etc etc. 

Can't get enough of eggs, literally, as the lady who normally supplies me has got rid of all her hens this summer so that she could rest after an operation.  I hope she and her hens are back to full production at the rentrée!

Supermarket eggs are, unfortunately, dire when you are used to the luxury of freshly-laid[:(]

When we first got to France, as in the Mr Bean sketch, we didn't know what steak tartare was and ordered it. Raw steak hache with a well with a raw egg........ beurk! So much for being adventurous. So no, raw egg not for me and I am not keen on raw beef either, although I am fond of a blue steak which to me is quite different.

[quote user="Kong"]Muffins = sugar. Yuk. I hated American breakfasts. Just give me eggs scrambled lightly in butter with black pepper and a little salt. Poached eggs are innocuous and boring![/quote]

I do think that this business about sugar or carbohydrate being bad for you is now completely over demonised.

So, tell me, Kong, do you not eat any fruit, drink wine or beer, eat veg like carrots or tomatoes, eat pasta, rice, potatoes etc?

Yes, all = sugar, as you have said about muffins.

What DO you eat?  OK, I am being a bit cheeky but I am also interested.

I eat all the fruit groups, fats, protein, carbs and I do not have a weight problem or health issues except b l o o d y asthma and that is especially bad in this hot, dry weather.

I agree, Mint. The main thing, to keep weight under control, is everything in moderation and Small Helpings, no seconds.

Even with junk food, except that high sugar salt or fat content can be addictive, so makes it more difficult to stick to that plan.

I did manage to wrigle out of type 2 diabetes by dropping as many wheat based products as I could. So no bread, just an occasional croissant left by B&B guests. I avoid pizzas and anything with pastry. Some Rattes potatoes in season because I can't resist and rice. Sanity is maintained because I continue to enjoy lots of wine and a little beer! Breakfast is scrambled eggs with sauteed mushrooms or tomatoes stirred in. Sadly no toast or marmalade even though I make the stuff.

Oh, poor Kong, not nice for you.

I couldn"t do with banned food substances, MUCH too greedy!

No toast and marmalade?  I can't imagine breakfast without these 2 items.

Toast, salted butter, marmalade with chunky peel and everyday a piece of cheese.  No protein at all means hunger pangs after about an hour or so.

Tons of proteins - dairy products galore. I'll pour creme on anything. I just keep taking the statins! I've got some marmalade with chunky peel that I made begging to be opened. The label says 1995 - Mrs Beeton no2 recipe.

Back to a previous post re raw eggs. I love steak tartare. But since I became a qualified geriatric My system won't accept very rare or raw meat. So another pleasure abandoned.

My brother has been unwell for several weeks and was told today that he has diverticulitis - thankfully not cancer, which we thought might be a distinct possibility.

He hates fruit, veg and salad, only eats carrots and apples plus the very occasional banana, only eats white bread, hates brown/wholemeal, eats only a little cereal. He has been told he must build up to eating 18 to 30 grams of fibre each day, with plenty of assorted fruit and veg, wholemeal bread, cereals etc and plenty of fluids. He's almost 84 and extremely thin. Thank goodness he wasn't told to stay off chocolate - his favourite 'food'.

LOL, GG, NOT because your brother has diverticulitis.

Your post made me think of a very fashionable diet in the early 1980s called the high fibre diet.  You ate stuff like all bran, and you bought this wheat fibre which you added to your food and you ate raw veg like celery, cucumber, lettuce, etc.

After a few days on the diet, I thought I was going to die!  The abdominal pains were excruciating.

So, you are right, he needs to adjust his diet in steps and build up to however much they want him to eat.  One thing he might enjoy is stewed prunes or indeed any dry fruit.  I eat a fair bit of dry fruit, dates, figs, appricots, cranberries, raisins, etc. when I am out walking as I find them very good for a quick boost of energy.

Recently, I have also included nuts and seeds to my diet and I LOVE them.  Today, for example, we had baked potatoes (eating the skins), and a mixture of roast veg, sweet onions, tomatoes, courgettes, etc.  Everything sprinkled with almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds. Nice dollop of crème fraiche on the potatoes and absolutely no slaving over a hot stove.  All went in the oven, I left the kitchen and only returned to dish up.

Me and hot weather simply do not get on.........