What is your favourite French wine and grape ??

Ron Bolus

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Well, what wine does one like? It has to be red, (white or v.pale pink) taste smooth (or light), not like old tyres(OK....), tannin free (unless natural - no sacks of oak chips dragged through it to give it some dryness/tannin/distinction), not bitter or taste like soil (some soil's nice), fruity is acceptable, not syrupy (unless sweet white), but distinctive. Most recently the s'market had a decent, cheapish  claret,  that I guzzled down. And now it is gone so one must search some more.

What I miss in France are non-French wines, particularly a decent Italian selection. (decently priced S/ American whites for example)

Wine clubs are a bit like upmarket tupperware or underwear parties (I have never been to a wine club, I avoid upperware parties, and always been excluded from underwear parties that I attempted to attend)- either you belong or you don't and I definitely don't Each to his or her distinction!

[/quote]

There you go Wooly, you're just like me!

Steve

edit "upperwareparties!"

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... I assume you get the Society News and magazines. We just got the Summer one...

END QUOTE

Tee hee, well I hope you will have read my piece in that! Not about wine, but about what to visit when you go over to the WS's Montreuil shop to pick up your booty. ;-)

Angela

Loiseau,

Now I have to go look for it. We have stayed at what is referred too as an atmospheric hotel in the Society's Montreuil Liat for July-September 2013, Le Darnetal, a couple of times and there is a good chocolate shop near the hotel. We went to the dinner at Froggy's several years ago, and have walked all over Montreuil. One rather odd hotel, cockroaches and dirty beds included, has been removed from the list. I think it might be closed. Odd that the Society's shop doesn't sell Calvados. We usually load up on it in Auchan in Calais.

Is your piece the one with the nude statues? ( I guess it is. I see the name Angela at the bottom.)

David

Russet,

As I said, a lot of boxed wine is AOC. We also buy wine in (?sp) pompes funebres/flower shops from huge plastic containers. They will fill any container you bring as long as they know how much it holds. (?sp) Vin en vrac shops will do the same. We ain't proud.

David 

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Angela,

I believe the Stevenage shop sells Calvados. I guess the Montreuil shop is too far from Calvados country.

David

[/quote]

Waitrose sell Calvados....but the best stuff is home made.

20 year old Somerset Cider Brandy is a pretty good substitute.

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Russet,

It is illegal to distill in GB.

David

[/quote]

I know, but in some parts of Normany there are still older people who hold licenses to distill last time I heard these licenses were not allowed to be 'inherited' as they used to be, so the present holders will be the last, whether things have got even more stringent since then, which was several years ago, I don't know

Russet,

Yes, I read/heard that as well. They used to have mobile distilleries and would drive around making Calvados for apple farmers. I might have 'read' it in local papers and I suppose it might have died out by now.

We did a tour of one of the better known distillers years ago and the guide referred to 'the angel's share' without explaining it. We had to explain to some Polish tourists what it meant because they thought it referred to workers stealing a bit of Calvados.

David

We had friends who lived in Brittany, but just south of Mont St Michel, so pretty near the border.

Grandmother had a license but it would not be passed to her daughter or son in law. A mobile still would come at appointed time and date and those with licenses would come to the meeting point and use the still, often with the gendarme looking on.

If you didn't have a license, just turn up earlier, before the gendarme appeared, the work would be done and not a word was said [:)]

[quote user="dwmcn"]

wobblynana,

My homemade apple wine is about 15%. If I freeze it, the part that doesn't freeze, mostly alcohol, tastes a bit like Calvados.

David

[/quote]However there is a risk that it contains some methyl alcohol that can cause blindness and death

[quote user="woolybanana"]

You must have started self abuse very young, then!![6]

[/quote]

Davey, I don't think that Wooly was referring to wine-drinking.

You must excuse Wooly; he shouldn't really be allowed on any sort of public forum ......