one for Patf and other bakers of bread, please

mint

Now, I am no expert when it comes to baking bread.  What I use is Dove Farm dried yeast and whatever flour I have handy and put it all in the machine to do its work.  Results are always better than my own efforts.

Now with all cupboards and every available storing place chock full of stuff (expecting to perhaps have little time to shop in the new year), I can't find the Dove Farm.

So, in the supermarket today, I bought a small cube of levure boulangère (42g) which I think is enough for two 500G loaves.  Can someone please tell me what to do with this fresh yeast?

Do I need to warm it to room temperature, mix it with warm water before use, what exactly, svp?

Thank you.  You'd be doing OH a big favour certainly should I be short of time for cooking because his pièce de résistance is, as always, cheese sandwiches[:)] 

Lucky you to find fresh yeast!

Put it into a bowl with a tsp or 2 of sugar (or honey) and pour on some warm water, about half a pint. Then put in a warm place to rise - about 5-10 mins.

Then use as with dried yeast.

I use Francine dried yeast now, it works well.

As the OH of somebody obsessed with making sourdough and keeping the yeast alive can I suggest training your OH to go to your nearest supplier of Pain de Campagne - the stuff that keeps for more than 2 days.

Whilst not up to homemade standard and also costing more it certainly is less hassle to get!! You may appreciate it too.

Pat, thank you.  Looking forward to making a couple of loaves and freezing them, ready to eat.

Richard, we have a boulangerie that does good bread and basic pastries not 2 minutes away but, for sandwiches, I do prefer more or less bread squares, with crust off and cut into triangles[:$]

Yes, I know......not into stick shape or ball shape or paving stone shape or anything else shape and the consistency has to be soft and but not squidgey[:D]  

Talking of soft bread - my loaves, white and wholemeal, used to stay soft in the fridge for nearly a week. But now seem to start to dry and harden after 2 days.

I'm using the same brands of flour ( Dove Farm or Marriages) and same method.

Could it be that the flour manufacturers are using different wheats?

That's why I stopped using bread flour made from french wheat, it produces "bread" which hardens so quickly.

I know you disagree with this, Idun, but maybe you finish a loaf quicker than we do.

Stands back in amazement about using ALL that yeast for two measly loaves.............. IMO far too much. I would use half that for 7 x1lb loaves, there again, that is by hand.

Also, I would never dream of doing other than freezing my bread the moment it was cool in portions we use and getting it out fresh every time we need it.

All this by the old lass who uses cheap and cheerful white flour for her bread and seems stingy with the yeast....... still, I do have lovely soft tasty bread. ( I do admit that I often do halfy halfy white and wholemeal too).

Fortunately, haven't baked the bread yet!

So, id, you think that a 42g cube is too much for 2 loaves?  OK, will split it into 6.

If using dried, I normally use a teaspoonsful.  I, too, mix up my flours.  My favourite is to add some oatmeal, love the lighter results.

I use cheap flour for bread (and the dried yeast that comes in sachets) but then I found a stronger flour in Leclerc that was only about 75c, then a couple of days ago I saw that Lidl have a 110 flour also only about 75c. I'd never pay the huge price that's asked for 'real' bread flour.

I cannot use dried yeast so have no way of comparing it to fresh. OH is allergic to dried yeast and that is a long story in in itself.

For normal bread, too much yeast can make it hard, was told that there was not enough flour for the yeast to do whatever it does to flour and that is the reason.

Maybe with a machine, half a cube for two loaves?????

Trial and error really with these things, or look up ont t'internet how much fresh you need for two loaves in a machine...... should find it somewhere.

Thanks, id.  Will be making it tomorrow or Sunday as freezer is choc a bloc at the moment.

Edit:  found my answer.  My 42g cube should make 4 loaves of 500g.  For conversion of dried yeast to fresh, the formula is to multiply by 3.  I use 1 teaspoon dried which is 3.5g: so 3.5 x 3 = 10.5g fresh

Phew!  Sorted, thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
For bread flour, I still recommend (and use) Surfina 11,5/560 from Gamme Vert (or whatever it's called these days). Genuine strong white flour. Works for me without fail.

They have other mixes, if you're interested.

Cheers

Have been using the Francine mixed cereal flour for ages, which we like. However, there has been none on the shelves here for nearly a month, neither in 50 nor 44. Even the Leclerc own make is unavailable. Have I missed some supply issue or have they deemed it sells too well and so have stopped making it! The quote below is taken from the CDIscount site for a similar product.

Ce produit est victime de son succès. Retrouvez ci-dessous d’autres produits similaires.

No, have had no problem finding the Francine multi-céréal but, as Andy says, a bit of faffing around to find the white bread flour.

I too like to mix the flours and I particularly like putting in some oatmeal or even porridge oat flakes to the mix for a different taste and consistency.

But it does all go into the machine as I have never had success hand-making bread.

mint, truth is that not using a bread machine is not hard.

Time is the thing really as it takes ages.

I often start mine at bed time, put it in a cool place to rise over night and then continue with the next part, the following morning.

I too mix flours quite often, as OH likes wholemeal I do half and half, but the white I use is often, nay usually, cheap and cheerful. And when I make white bread, well, cheap and cheerful really does the trick, and I admit that the tasting test I did years ago, meant that the 'proper' flour had more taste.Truthfully,  the taste was only marginally ' better' with the 'proper' stuff. AND in this household, we actually do not eat dry bread, it is always with something else, dipping it, smothering it, layering it. So I doubt anyone could tell if cheap and cheerful flour was in the bread in a sandwich so why pay more.

I used to use Francine brioche flour for white bread but that has been unavailable for weeks. So have bought Marriages from my friend who has an english stall in the market.

But we both prefer wholemeal, and I still say french farine complete (or any of these other mixed grains)  is nothing like the real thing.

Having said that, I mix 800g wholemeal with 200g white. For 3 good sized loaves. I have a machine for kneading.

I must admit that, every so often, I have a yen for really white bread.  Does anyone remember a commercial sliced loaf (can't remember the name) that was called a milk loaf?

Once in a while, I use white flour and milk instead of water and I am generous with the jam with this bread.  I still think that, if you are frying bread or making a bacon sandwich, there's nothing to beat the "unhealthy" white stuff!

Yes I remember milk loaves.

Round in shape, with ribs down the length as if to give a slicing guide - at least ours were.

Never had such a longing for a white loaf, but I do use some milk in all the loaves I make. About 1:4 milk to water.

• 5 months later...
Fridgeman, you can't stop at such a brief description (horrified expression not available on the forum emoticons)!

Come on, tell it like it is, please:  make of flour, amount of flour, amount of yeast, machine or hand, amount of liquid, what type of liquid, etc.

You owe us that much, Fridgeman!  I have been thinking what naughty things I can get up to and what fattening things I can eat because otherwise I am just going to be fretting in the heat, not knowing what to do to pass the time?