Ze doggy bag

woolybanana

Out of interest, has anybody asked for the left over bits of a plat to be doggy bagged, if so, in what kind of resto, how was the request received?

The only time I have given my doggies food from a resto it was Mac burghers and they were very, very iffy about eating it.

Yes .. quite regularly I suppose. Though we don't have a dog.

Mostly happens if we are out in a group and I have a pizza .. being tiny I can only eat maximum of a half so I ask for the rest to take home .. never a problem.

On holiday OH and I ate in a most unusual resto and, again, I really could only eat half of my baked potato with amazing toppings and a glorious mixed salad so the staff were v happy to pack up the rest for me to take home.

This makes me sound mean but I just cannot abide waste .. especially if the food is well-cooked and tasty.

Mind you this doesn't happen in a posh resto .. the portions there are usually just the right size ☺

Yes. And I've also had it suggested to me by the resto when we couldn't finish our meal.

When we asked it was some years ago and we went out with friends. It wasn't leftovers from the meal but from the cheese course (mostly cheese rinds and offcuts) from a moderately "posh" resto with one of the best cheeseboards you could hope to find. We were in a biggish group and we and our friends both had dogs who were partial to a cheese treat. The resto

was only too happy to oblige.

Second time was more recent at a seafood resto

in a little port near us. Three of us shared a huge assiette de fruits de mer which was too much, even between us. The waitress asked if we'd like to take the rest home and took the plateau away, returning with the leftover prawns etc. in a lidded Tupperware container.

We have done it in France and certainly do in the UK.

Always found with set menus in France, which is what we usually used to take, that the portions were never too big, so it rarely happened. And frankly I always have a couple of plastic food bags in my bag, so would happily use them.

I think, Judith, that sometimes it's not so much about knowing the place or the portion sizes, but knowing the people you're eating with. If I'm sharing a plate with other people, I wouldn't have a clue how much of it they're capable of eating. A lot of the seafood places near us do various sized platters, and it's often far more economical to share a bigger platter between several people than to order a smaller platter each (you also get more variety). But then you're relying on other people to eat their share... ?

Betty, think ther's less sharing of platters here than in the UK and the States, though I see people sharing a desert, it's often only that. First time I ever had this was indeed in the States - years and years ago, the largest fruit salad I ordered when I finally arrived at the hotel after I have lost track of how many hours flying.  So tired of course, could hardly eat any of it ... they suggested the doggy bag, I would never have asked, and so I had a lovely fruit breakfast the next morning, instead!

Fruit is always worth taking away! ?

Honestly, I think you'd need to find an American to eat some of the seafood platters around us. At around €50 for the bigger ones, both the size and variety would defeat one person, unless they had Elvis Presley's daily calorie intake already. A comfortable and filling meal for 3-4 though.

Portion sizes, well, that also, even in France depends on taking a la carte or a menu. A la carte portions should always be bigger. Son was in the trade and that is what he says should apply, always.

I only ever see menus at lunch time in our bit of the UK. And portions are just right. A la carte main dishes seem to be rather big, but shouldn't they be, to reflect the price difference.

ps, not talking about nouvelle ripoff cuisine....[Www]

The seafood platters...are in France.

Meanwhile, in the UK I've eaten recently at several places ( including Tom Kerridges pub, The Coach) where the dishes are all "tasting" sizes, and if there are two of you, you might order and share 3 dishes between you. The "tapas" idea seems to have expanded beyond the confines of Spanish food and become a far more general thing.

It certainly avoids the problem of wishing you'd ordered what your lunch companion ordered, as you get to share it anyway!