Cooking Aids

idun

I have gathered that quite a few posters have bread machines.

I was wondering what else you have and use a lot.

We have a Kenwood food mixer, and I haven't used it in at least five years, and the only thing we use is for these days is the mincer attachment which we bought separately. We had an old hand mincer we bought in France, but I cannot find it since we moved back to the UK.

I have a hand mixer, haven't used that in an age either, although I will get it out for merangues or if I am making a big amount of cake mix.

We have a cuisinart blender with chopper, not cheap and neither of which I would recommend to anyone at all.

I have fond memories of my old Moulinex blender and coffee bean chopper, which did veggies great, but I wore the poor thing out. I shall try and get another when this current thing gives up the ghost, which I daresay will not be that far in the future. It has already had to be replaced after just over a year, and ofcourse the guarantees don't start afresh, more or less from the original date of purchase............ and in comparison to my Moulinex, it is hardly used........ the Moulinex was used everyday when the kids were young and then several times a week!

I have lots of hand whisks and wooden spoons.

When we first moved to France we bought a press chopper, a german make and that is one of the very best things i have ever had in my kitchen, needless to say I wore that out too and could not find the same make again. I ended up with a zyliss but it wasn't a patch on the 'braun' I think was the first one I bought.

So I have a simple kitchen really.

Husband bought a pasta maker, used once so far, I am not such a pasta fan as to want to make it.

I have a 2 fondue sets, and two raclette sets, how could I not having lived in the Alpes. And I can get all the ingredients I want for authentic fondues and raclettes so we still use them.

We have a Braun kitchen machine which I bought just after we arrived in Teheran in 1966, to help prepare baby food for our ten month old daughter, as the bottled type of baby food she was used to in Australia wasn't available there. It cost 10,400 Rials, about £45. Yes, I still have the bill!

We eventually befriended some American military people there, who kept us supplied with Gerber baby food in jars, from their commissary.

Although not in daily use, my wife uses the machine regularly for mixing, blending, and mincing meat, and it sits ready for use on a worktop.

The drive shaft in the mincer attachment sheared once, in 1979, when it jammed on a gristly bit of meat, but the replacement part was supplied promptly by Braun in Germany, via their UK agent, for £2.82, and there have been no problems since.

I recently bought some extra base attachments and gaskets on Ebay, as the plastic was beginning to deteriorate where in contact with hot liquid foods.

The other item we use a lot is a Moulinex Turbomix, which is great for blending vegetables in soups.

I have a hand blender with chopper bowl attachment and a coffee grinder.  And a nice German coffee machine.  That's it. 

I used to have all kinds of crazy kitchen stuff.  Got rid of it all.

I'm really a basics kind of cook now.  Our waistlines are better for it.

I am a very basic sort of cook, in fact it was literally years before I even bought a hand whisk, had a favourite fork for all whisking and beating. Although I did have my Moulinex blender by then.

AND my waistline was not the better for it, never is.

Breadmaker - when I must
Food processor - can't remember when last used
Juicer - in the fruit season
Blender - use rarely
Electric hand whisk - only when I make cakes - which is rarely
Jam maker - in season - but only make the liquid for fruit juices, gave up with jam, far too many jars still to eat

After the flood when we re-did the kitchen, I had to move everything out, and have only put back in what I use, when I used it (except the breadmaker which is stored elsewhere, usually, but not at present).  More knives than I could ever cut with etc etc, but I don't bake very often,and only when must, nor do I do posh cooking .. better things to do with my time, like play on here ...