Preserving horseradish

Tancrède

I use a lot of horseradish if I can find it in the local supermarket, but its availability is frustratingly erratic, and as elsewhere in France is so little known or used that requests for it are not received with great enthusiasm.

So I was delighted to find a quantity of fresh roots in the market this morning. But can anyone who buys it fresh tell me the best way of preserving it, please ?

My provisional plan is to grate it quite coarsely, mix it with a little oil, and freeze it in small containers.

+1 for preserving it in vinegar. The only time limit on it's keeping qualities is the strength of the lid on the jar. A combination of vinegar and the fumes from the horseradish corrodes them, eventually.

One tip...if you have a robot/food processor, use it to grate the roots, and be very careful not to be too close to the bowl when you remove the lid!

Thank you so much for the tips.

Unfortunately I don't have a food processor, so I did it the grating by hand - which was harder going than I expected. Grating the sections at 90° to the grain is - as I discovered too late - easier and produces a better result.

Some nice little shoots were peeping out around the crown, so I couldn't resist popping it into a suitable container…