Croque Monsieur

idun

I was wondering how any of you made Croque Monsieur.

I used a bechamel with lots of emmantael in it. In fact I use a LOT of emmantael cheese in mine.

I toast the bread lightly and butter it. Then put a nice good layer of ham on one slice, cover that in bechamel and a little grated emmantael on that. Top layer of toast and cover that in bechamel and then grated emmantael on the top.

As it tends to skid, I put cocktail sticks in to keep them in place whilst in the over.

And this is the bit that I have most trouble with really. I put a grill on a tray and the croques on that and have my oven on a mix of the oven getting hot and and the grill on partially.

They taste lovely, but the underneath is often not as crisp as I want, and I have tried putting the croques straight onto the baking tray and they seem to go soggy.

So how do you do yours?

I can't imagine using that Croque machine with lots of cheese cooking directly onto the gril plaques.  Wouldn't it be a sticky mess and perhaps burn the cheese??

I can see it making a toasty sandwich if all the ingredients were placed between the two slices of bread.

No?

Now that was interesting, I always lightly toast the bread first and butter it. Also, I put more filling in.......... you should see the Pizza's I make![Www] Thin base, loadsa topping[:D]

Apart from that, looks quite like mine when cooked, but mine seem to have slightly soggy bottoms, is that because I toast the bread first, I wonder, I will try without toasting next time.

I use emmantael, I prefer it to comte on a croque, but that is down to taste, and we are all different.

One thing I do do, is make my bechamel on the evening before and fridge it so it is as shown, spreadable the next day.

When making a toastie in a toastie machine, I was always told to butter the outside of the bread prior to going in the machine. And that is what I do.

I would only butter inside if I was actually putting it under the grill which I used to do  prior to having a toastie machine.  And I sometimes actually  just make a grilled toastie, not in the toastie machine, because they are different and that is what I fancy and they are different.  In either, I prefer ham and cheddar.

And to add, a croque monsieur is a creamy ham and cheese toasted sandwich, what with the bechamel on the top AND inside it. And some use creme fraiche  instead of bechamel.

And a cheese and ham or what ever toastie, without the creaminess isn't a croque monsieur. As I said, I enjoy a toastie, these are just different plates of food. And both very enjoyable to eat.